Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Legacy Turbo
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I happen to have a pretty major rust spot on the rear pas. side quarter panel. Obviously, I would like to get it fixed so the car doesn't look like a total beater.

So here are my questions:
Is it actually repairable?
If so, would the price be in reason?
To make it easier, I was planning on using a dremel to cut away the rusted section, then clean it up. Should I go to a junk yard and try and cut out a rear quarter panel form another legacy and take that to the body shop, have them weld it in, bondo and prime, or should I just let them use metal they have to do the job.

P.S Ignore the steelies w/ shit tires...got some BG5 wheels and some Avid W4S's on the way :D

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
Ok, so I happen to have a pretty major rust spot on the rear pas. side quarter panel. Obviously, I would like to get it fixed so the car doesn't look like a total beater.

So here are my questions:
Is it actually repairable?
If so, would the price be in reason?
To make it easier, I was planning on using a dremel to cut away the rusted section, then clean it up. Should I go to a junk yard and try and cut out a rear quarter panel form another legacy and take that to the body shop, have them weld it in, bondo and prime, or should I just let them use metal they have to do the job.
Ben
Yes, that is repairable. I would think a good bodyshop could get it done right for around $500 being that there is so much that needs replacing. A replacement panel from a junkyard would be your best bet, but a good body guy should be able to fab something up. You're on the right track with cutting all the nastiness out. Don't use alot of bondo or body filler if you don't want it fall out after the first winter.

·
Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
630 Posts
Oh god! That makes me feel better about my rust that I was all self conscious about. I hope it all turns out well for you though.

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
sure..

you'll need to remove that quarter panel, polly the wheel tub, too.

then put on a factory new one, or cut one off a junkyard quarter (they deliver!)

then weld the new one on, and bodywork the seams, and prime and paint
--
(just did this to a 07 accord yesterday!)

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
dude, just a suggestiong...remove those rubber pieces that go along your wheel well. those things are a rust accelerators!

good luck with gettin it fixed! i have a little bit of rust starting in the same spot :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts