Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Rear GD struts into GC

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Jack_Stalk 
#1 ·
So I’ve done a bit a research and found mixed answers but the majority seem to agree that in order to fit GD, at least MY02-03, into a GC you need to reuse your GC rear top hats/Strut mounts etc. My question is I’ve got a set of 02 WRX struts and springs, non tapered, according to the above information I’ll be able to fit the springs onto the upper spring seat and top hat if I use GC parts? From the research I’ve done the GC and GD springs are the same diameter so technically I would be able to, right? The only problems I’ll have to deal with are camber, stiffness, a little bit more ride height etc. So the installation of the rear struts should be as follows from top to bottom?: Tophat(GC), Spring seat(GC), Rubber seat, Spring(GD),Strut(GD), rest of components. Also just for clarification I’m talking about the metal plate between the tophat and spring.

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
And for reference this is my 02 WRX rear struts/spring I’m working with
I’m not sure if these are just one entire piece, I was thinking I’d be able to separate them since I’d be using the stock wrx springs and save some money on getting new spring seats. But if not I’ll just have to get those seats then, huh.

#4 ·
I’ve also looked into slotting the top of the strut mounts where the top hats would bolt and the general consensus is that you would need to slot one of the holes 6ish mm and the others very little in order to use the complete 02-03 GD Struts. I’ve also read that you would need to place washers on top of the top hat to accommodate the space in between the mount and top hat to keep from “clunking”. So if anyone has done this any more info would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
I've done it both ways, drilling the strut tower and swapping tophats. I prefer just getting a spring compressor and swapping the top hats to GC, on my car when I did it I didn't seat them right and they were clunking over bumps but I was too lazy to go in and re-tighten them. If I had to do it again I would just go with GC specific stuff.

#7 ·
I used the GD strut itself and I think all of the top hardware from the GC but I don't remember as it was literally like 9 years ago before I learned to just get OEM replacement stuff. If you have both the GD and GC top hats and seats you an definitely get it to work.

#11 ·
I'm running GC KYB AGX struts with GD STI springs and GD top hats. Had to mess with the mounting holes, real easy with a Dremel. Also had to add a spacer/longer bolts to raise up the rear due to the shorter GD springs. No clunk in the rear, but might be because of the spacer?

#12 · (Edited)
IIRC, there are a few pics floating around ..

Someone on Nabisco posted this,

I don't remember because it's been so long, but i'm running GD coilovers all around on my GF and i'm pretty sure I only had to drill one hole - the outermost bolt hole. I think I had to deburr the hole of course, but not necessarily slot the thing. I don't recall anything more than that. I guess it really depends on where you want your camber to be, but I was able to get it within spec without any rear camber plates and only camber bolts. Not sure why some choose to slot the holes. I believe the only real caveat is that the rears tend to sit a little higher with the GC setup. shrug

My father's GF also has 04 STi takeoffs all around, and I also remember having to drill only one hole. No real problems to report.

It is possible to get things setup correctly with the GC tophats, but in my opinion too much work..

#13 ·
Doing it with the GC top hats is the right way, it's also easier because you can do the swap outside the car and then just install the struts directly without having to ghetto rig your chassis. I've done it both ways, I actually did one of the first strut tower drill jobs on this forum like 11 years ago. The GD and forester struts arent really designed to work in a GC, Ive since learned to just stick with suspension made for the car. Drilling isnt worth possibly compromising the structural rigidity of an essential part of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.