Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all the problems associated with the "weak" tansmission in our Imprezas, but how strong is the rear end of the car? Axles, rear differential, etc.
My RS is making somewhere around 250-270 hp. I "baby" the gears but what else can I do, if anything, to protect the rear driveline?
Thanks!
-Chris
www.shamrockmotorsports.com/Impreza.htm

·
Registered
852 Posts
As long as you are babying your gears, then your rear driveline should be fine. I have never personally heard of anyone having a problem associated with a malfunction or damage due to hard driving in the diff's. Almost all forced induction RS's that break gears do so in the form of second gear. Power shifting accompnied by a strong clutch will rip the teeth right off second if your not careful. Just give your shifts an extra half-second to let the synchro's do their job, your gears will thank you.

If your taking it easy on the tranny, then you probably don't have anything to worry about for the rear driveline and axles of the car.

Graham

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
If your taking it easy on the tranny, then you probably don't have anything to worry about for the rear driveline and axles of the car.
pretty much, though one person i know has blown his rear diff (open) and that was without forced induction. but then again, he's broken just about everything on that car :rolleyes:

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,958 Posts
i think you can get an legacy diff for your car, it's stronger and i believe offers slightly higher top speed. Do research on that as you can find a diff on a junk yard for nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts