Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
2001, Outback Sport
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, im getting ready to swap in rear disc on my 01 OBS, and i got the parts from someone in PA. i assume its a complete swap? but i dont know if the rear e-brake cables will need to be changed or not?

· Premium Member
91 LSi w/EJ22T
1,996 Posts
A complete swap would consist of hubs, calipers, brackets, rotors, lines, and e-brake cables. If you did not recieve e-brake cables with your disc hubs, then yes you'll have to swap over the e-brake cables.

· Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
3,444 Posts
most likely depending on which rear setup you want... you will have to swap the e-brakes lines

also, it will be a pain taking out the front seats in order to remove the carpet liner.

i put up with a good fight in the end... rewarded with sweet glory ol' safety.

· Registered
'95 Impreza 2.2L AWD/4EAT
96 Posts
You'll need the disc e-brake cables, best to leave 'em attached to the hubs and swap 'em in all together.

Regarding access to the e-brake boots, I didn't pull the whole carpet back - just pull out the center console and use a razor to trim back a flap of carpet on top of the trans tunnel, far enough to access the e-brake boots. You might be able to see the cut-lines in the carpet when it's all buttoned up, but it's between the seats and not noticeable. Much easier than pulling out half your interior, and not a bad compromise in my opinion.

· wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
4,729 Posts
You don't need to have the e-brake cables. I used my original drum cables with my disc conversion. You just need to take apart the drum from the disc hubs so you can install the cable end.

It needed a little bit of tightening which was done at the lever end. However, the engagement is a little higher than I'd like it to be. Perhaps the e-brake pads are shot... I probably should have replaced those when we did the swap. Oh well.

I've had this setup for over a year and have put a lot of hard miles on it. :)

Brett

· Premium Member
2001, Outback Sport
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so i have another quick ? regarding the ABS wheel/ring. im assuming that i can use the same sensor/ring from my OBS.? the donor hub/spindle assembly has the ABS ring on it already.
thanks.

· Premium Member
2001, Outback Sport
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another ?

ok, so im thinking i should change out that long bolt that holds the bottom of the spindle to the rear arms? is it good practice to change it, or should it be ok>? And another one about where to get the rear e-brake cable from? dealer? aftermarket?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.