Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
05 9-2x Linear
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read up on it... and have a question... no clunking or any noise so far...

most of the stuff i've been reading have been for the front... does everything apply for the rears?

are the replacement stuff from napa one size fits all? or do they have specific stuff i have to look into?

thanks for the help...

· Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,970 Posts
Basicly same deal yes. Now if you get replacement parts before hand make sure the axles you get are male on both ends. The older (96 and older) diffs had female ends. Left and right sides are the same.

· Registered
88 XT6. 2.7l H6, 4.11 5MT
568 Posts
I'm not sure if you're referring to replacing the boot, or the whole axle.....

reman'd axles are junk. an enormous waste of money. lifetime warranty sounds great, but not when you have to replace them 3 or 4 times a year. especially on an EJ car where a broken axle leaves you stranded!

just re-boot it. pull it apart, clean out all the old grease, pull the snapring off the end of the shaft, pull the old boot off, slip a new one on (available from your local parts store, subaru, or JCWhitney sells some very nice universal ones that I LOVE!), re-grease (new grease will come with the boot), and re-assemble.

$10 fix, and it'll last 10x longer than a reman'd axle.

· Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,970 Posts
I'm not sure if you're referring to replacing the boot, or the whole axle.....

reman'd axles are junk. an enormous waste of money. lifetime warranty sounds great, but not when you have to replace them 3 or 4 times a year. especially on an EJ car where a broken axle leaves you stranded!

just re-boot it. pull it apart, clean out all the old grease, pull the snapring off the end of the shaft, pull the old boot off, slip a new one on (available from your local parts store, subaru, or JCWhitney sells some very nice universal ones that I LOVE!), re-grease (new grease will come with the boot), and re-assemble.

$10 fix, and it'll last 10x longer than a reman'd axle.

Maybe. Depends on how long the boot was torn. Most of the time you notice the boots looks like they have been exposed for a long time.

Ya I am not the largest fan of reman but if you take the time to listen to them they dont just break. Well if they do they have a major defect. I have had the bearings go alot sooner than the stock oem unit. I dont buy them though because they cost $300+. I can get alot of remans for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.