Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building up an Impreza for rally....and I need a good skid plate. The one from Primitive racing is cute, but it doesn't protect much, I need some pictures of REAL skid plates, so I can get an idea of how to build mine. I am probably going to use 1/8 alum. and steel support brackets...and bolt the alum to the support brackets...that way I can easily replace thrashed alum. Thanks in advance for any info!!

-Andy

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
The good stuff is the thick white plastic you can get at local Plastic joints...name escapes me at this moment! grr
Aluminum will bend around things and get dented with rocks. It works fine for the back..but I wouldn't recommend it under the front.
Everyone has their own preferences...think I have some pictures at home...have to scan them in.

Got any pictures of your project?? Would love to see them...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about plastic, but I heard that it would melt around the headers and cats. If you have experienced different results, let me know, and of course, what type of plastic it was. My car really isn't impressive yet. It doesn't have a roll cage, or any of that stuff yet. Right now, I am kinda the only part of the car that is dedicated to rally. I will post pics when the car starts to look interesting.

-Andy

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The one from Primitive racing is cute, but it doesn't protect much
i would argue this claim. mine has already payed for itself many, many times over. its scraped, but it has held up very well. but i digress, do what you want, its your car afterall :)

the plastic you guys are thinking of is urethane. its what my mudflaps are made out of. really amazing stuff. personally though, i would want something a bit more solid under the engine/headers, etc. of course, if you like to blow wads of money (and who doesn't) you could always get one of the uber-trick carbon-kevlar composite plates :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i would argue that too!!

the end result of this:

you think plastic can do better? :D be my guest

we did add an extra layer of aluminum down the center for the big bang em ups... but the skid plate is more than effective for true pro rallying...

cheers
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
#215 SCCA Pro Rally
1st Runner Up SCCA National Championship P Class

·
Registered
548 Posts
You have two choices...the plastic (which I believe is HDPE) will not bend when hit by rocks. As long as you have it a couple inches away from the exhaust, there is no problem with the flash point. It is also a cheaper way to go.

Aluminum will bend when you hit hard.

Here is an image of a car with the plastic. The underside is completely covered.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a plastic skid plate on the CRX. It covers the front part of the car and is great. I haven't had a problem with it, and it covers a part of the cat. I think there is about a 2" gap. There are some deep cuts from rocks and stuff. But it never changes shape.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I shouldnt have been so hard on Primitive's plate. I am comparing it to the armor on WRC cars, and the US ProRally Subaru, not to mention Paul Eklund's car. My problem is that I am using an Auto-tranny, and I have already destroyed one tranny pan on a rock that the Primitive plate didnt protect. I will leave the Primitive plate in place, but I feel like I need additional protection for the tranny, cat, and other items further back than the current plate goes. Also, Subie gal....my plate doesn't seem to cover as much as yours, and it looks like you have welded additional plating on, any detail on that?

What I guess I am really asking is: what other vital areas should I worry about that are prone to being ripped out during rallies?

Thanks for all the help so far!

-Andy

·
Registered
548 Posts
most drivers cover the whole underside. I think I have a picture of a car flipped....I'll be right back.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A lot of drivers cover the underside of the car. If you rally in the NW, it is a good idea. What they call gravel up here seems to be the size of golf balls to softballs.

Take a look under neath some of the rally cars. I know some people will attach their skidplates to the frame of the car, others don't because if they hit hard enough on something they don't want to damage the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you look at the yellow subaru's picutre, you can tell it is protected all the way back. The Audi is protected all the way back too. Just like this VW the is on it's top.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ooooo, thats what I want to do. I want to be able to focus on driving the best line, and not worry about rocks poking up. A skid plate set-up like that would certainly help. Thanks a bunch for info and pictures djb6.

-Andy

·
Registered
548 Posts
RallyImprezive said:
ooooo, thats what I want to do. I want to be able to focus on driving the best line, and not worry about rocks poking up. A skid plate set-up like that would certainly help. Thanks a bunch for info and pictures djb6.

-Andy
You are welcome. By the way, do you ever rally in Oregon or Washington?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I haven't been in a single stage rally yet, and I have competed in only one rally-x. I know it seems crazy that I already want to blow $20,000 or more into rally. I just think I have what it takes because of my countless hours of forest service driving in the sierra nevadas. I am kinda hoping to build my car slowly, and compete in a lot of Rally-x events until me and my car are ready to tackle a real rally. Nothin is gonna stop me.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Also, Subie gal....my plate doesn't seem to cover as much as yours, and it looks like you have welded additional plating on, any detail on that?
just the center piece...

a lot of what you're seein in that photo is the extra underbody protection (yes... the plastic stuff) that covered the entire car...

you skimp on this stuff... trust me.. you will dnf...

i ran over 12 rallies in 2002 with NO DNF's.. not one...
hope this helps.

get out there and go for it!!! rally on people....

cheers
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
#215 SCCA Pro Rally

·
Registered
548 Posts
RallyImprezive said:
No, I haven't been in a single stage rally yet, and I have competed in only one rally-x. I know it seems crazy that I already want to blow $20,000 or more into rally. I just think I have what it takes because of my countless hours of forest service driving in the sierra nevadas. I am kinda hoping to build my car slowly, and compete in a lot of Rally-x events until me and my car are ready to tackle a real rally. Nothin is gonna stop me.

- Andy

Andy,

I think building a car slowly and doing rally-x will let see how the car will handle with each change you make. That is a smart way of getting into this, unless you are confident in your driving.

I am sure you will have fun. I wish you luck. Maybe I need to come to Nevada to see a rally.

Debbie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts