Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 version6 1.8L turbo 08 WRX
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you were considering a turbo build using EJ22E heads you'll probably want a metal head gasket. Subaru only provides a paper gasket so to fulfill the need you look to aftermarket, Cometic being the usual choice.

Cometic lists this head gasket as the correct HG for the NON turbo ej22e

Part #:C4262-040

Why is this the wrong head gasket?

Take a look at a head comparison of the Ej22E head and the EJ22T head courtesy of joejoe69, Left is the EJ22T head, Right EJ22E head:

As you can see, the upper coolant passages do not match the EJ22E head, even though Cometic lists this as the correct head gasket. Note: Im not solely basing this off the diagram. I have the head gaskets sitting in front of me as well.

I talked to a Cometic Representative and explained there is a difference in the coolant passage design on the EJ22E non turbo (C4262-040) and the EJ22ET(AKA EJ22T) Turbo (C4263-051).

I sent him joejoe69;s comparison and he called me back with the solution. He sent me an email with this:

EJ22/EJ25 Hybrid

I have not been able to locate a part number for it, however i was able to order it directly from Cometic with the dimensions i wanted (98mm bore, .040" thickness).

*just received the other HGs. perfect fit.*

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Since they haven't assigned a separate PN to this particular gasket and listed it separately in the catalog, I'll give you a break.

That said, this issue has been known for a few years now. It's nothing new.......and for as many threads as I read about the coolant passages being different, I've yet to read one about someone overheating because of it.

This is why it's advisable to call Cometic directly and tell them exactly what you're doing. Believe it or not, there are a few Subarus in the parking lot and at least some of the tech sales staff has been brought up to speed on hybrid builds. Now that I think about it....I know I've posted a thread some time ago with the correct PN for this hybrid gasket, as well as EJ22E heads on an EJ25 block.

For anyone else reading this thread, I suggest you ask for Kevyn Kistner directly when looking at "custom" headgaskets for Subarus. If he can't answer your questions, he usually emails me asking.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
If you were considering a turbo build using EJ22E heads you'll probably want a metal head gasket. Subaru only provides a paper gasket so to fulfill the need you look to aftermarket, Cometic being the usual choice.

Cometic lists this head gasket as the correct HG for the NON turbo ej22e

Part #:C4262-040

Why is this the wrong head gasket?

Take a look at a head comparison of the Ej22E head and the EJ22T head courtesy of joejoe69, Left is the EJ22T head, Right EJ22E head:

As you can see, the upper coolant passages do not match the EJ22E head, even though Cometic lists this as the correct head gasket. Note: Im not solely basing this off the diagram. I have the head gaskets sitting in front of me as well.

I talked to a Cometic Representative and explained there is a difference in the coolant passage design on the EJ22E non turbo (C4262-040) and the EJ22ET(AKA EJ22T) Turbo (C4263-051).

I sent him joejoe69;s comparison and he called me back with the solution. He sent me an email with this:

EJ22/EJ25 Hybrid

I have not been able to locate a part number for it, however i was able to order it directly from Cometic with the dimensions i wanted (98mm bore, .040" thickness).

Could you use this on a EJ18T using EJ18E heads? Ill let you know when i receive them for confirmation.

Are the ej22/ej25 hybird H/Gs supposed to be used on ej22e's with ej25 heads, ej22t's with ej25 heads, OR ej25's with ej22 heads?

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
flip the head gasket picture left two right then it lines up just fine

·
Premium Member
97 L, 13 WRX
1,537 Posts
Are the coolant passages the same for phase I and II EJ22E heads? (Doesn't matter to me but just clarifying for others)

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
There were small changes, but it was by design and not an issue.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since they haven't assigned a separate PN to this particular gasket and listed it separately in the catalog, I'll give you a break.

That said, this issue has been known for a few years now. It's nothing new.......and for as many threads as I read about the coolant passages being different, I've yet to read one about someone overheating because of it.

This is why it's advisable to call Cometic directly and tell them exactly what you're doing. Believe it or not, there are a few Subarus in the parking lot and at least some of the tech sales staff has been brought up to speed on hybrid builds. Now that I think about it....I know I've posted a thread some time ago with the correct PN for this hybrid gasket, as well as EJ22E heads on an EJ25 block.

For anyone else reading this thread, I suggest you ask for Kevyn Kistner directly when looking at "custom" headgaskets for Subarus. If he can't answer your questions, he usually emails me asking.
what are you talking about? They shipped me what they thought was a ej22e head gasket. it doesn't matter if i was simply replacing my hgs on my ej22e engine, regardless it would have been the wrong head gasket. I shouldnt have to get a custom gasket for my ej22e heads when they list them on there website ready to buy. If the issue is known, why is that design still on the cometic website.:monkey:

·
Registered
2015 STI Crystal White Pearl
1,861 Posts
what are you talking about? They shipped me what they thought was a ej22e head gasket. it doesn't matter if i was simply replacing my hgs on my ej22e engine, regardless it would have been the wrong head gasket. I shouldnt have to get a custom gasket for my ej22e heads when they list them on there website ready to buy. If the issue is known, why is that design still on the cometic website.:monkey:
I've yet to see what I get when it comes in. I myself might have a talk as well. According to their site they said they can make custom HGs, so custom HGs shouldn't have a part number listed on there. But for a replacement HG, that IS fucked up.

Are the ej22/ej25 hybird H/Gs supposed to be used on ej22e's with ej25 heads, ej22t's with ej25 heads, OR ej25's with ej22 heads?
You can probably order it either way, just let them know. As for imprezaL2345, he ordered a pair with a 98mm bore from an EJ22E block.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
What PN did you order and what PN did you get? I can look into this for you, but you'd be better off talking to them directly. If they sent you gaskets with the wrong passages cut into them, they'll make it right for you.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What PN did you order and what PN did you get? I can look into this for you, but you'd be better off talking to them directly. If they sent you gaskets with the wrong passages cut into them, they'll make it right for you.
alright. i ordered Part #:C4262-040 and i received Part #:C4262-040. Cometic is not aware of the difference between the Ej22E and the EJ22ET gaskets. i dont understand how on earth you arent understanding.

the point of this thread is to tell people that if you need mls HGs for your ej22e, do not order Part #:C4262-040 as you will get the incorrect gaskets. stop confusing people when i have clear evidence in front of me that they are indeed incorrect. If you want to endorse using the wrong HGs on different heads, dont do it in here. thanks

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Good job for lookin out Rob.

So if the correct HGs are directly from Cometic, are you going to return the wrong ones to CI Motorsports, or were both of these ordered through CI? I havent gotten my set yet, so I'm still waiting. I might have to do the same.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I just got mine today, haha. Yeah, they're wrong alright, woo-hoo. Let me know what you did.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got mine today, haha. Yeah, they're wrong alright, woo-hoo. Let me know what you did.
i called cometic directly and ordered them over the phone. Youre lucky since im assuming you didnt open the gaskets. im still trying to get a refund and neither ci motorsports or cometic are accepting responsibility. so ive got one that i can return to ci for sure since i didnt open it yet and the other im trying to get a refund.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Did you have to pay extra for having them to build a custom set, or was it the same as buying pre-made ones?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love this forum, this is the kind of imformation that is very useful, However.... I really wish I had read this forum before I ordered my head gaskets LOL :) oh well they aggreed to accept a return, I will use the factory gaskets for now since i am on stock ej18t heads, anyone know if the factory gaskets will handle atleast 10 psi for a while? I blew some aftermarket ones already after i went from 7 to 10psi.

·
Registered
I'll have the tuna. No crust.
49 Posts
What sizes do you guys get? It goes as low as .027", and as high as .140"? I'm wanting to lower my comp ratio just a bit with a thicker than oem size gasket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old post. I found this after accidentally ordering C4263 for my EJ22 non-turbo. The 4263 is for Turbo, and looks exactly like your 4262 (which is not actually that).
I then returned and ordered 4262 and it looks identical to my old gasket and your hybrid gasket. I think someone mis-packaged your 4262 and put a 4263 in it.
Checking on the Cometic website, the gasket diagrams all match up correctly for me:
4263 - EJ22T
4262 - EJ22E

1 - 20 of 20 Posts