Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Overheating - only after long drive!?!?

Are we supposed to? and after how many miles?

Long story short I rebuilt my top end about 4k miles ago and I am having an overheating problem. I am wondering if this is because the head bolts needed to be re-torqued and since I didn't it caused a head gasket failure and my overheating.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Did you replace the t-stat or make sure you get all the air bubbles out of the system.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T-stat should be here about 1:00 this afternoon.
The system seems to be pressurizing correctly.
I can't find any external leaks.
Fans are turning on correctly.
I put in a new waterpump during rebuild.

I am going to try a leakdown test tonight if the t-stat doesn't work.

I am at work so I have no jack but I am gonna do my t-stat in my work parking lot. Luckily NAPA is just up the street so I can go get my t-stat.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and before anyone tells me to SEARCH!

I just read this ( http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40373 ) and it gave me some ideas but I was specifically asking if I needed to re-torque the head bolts because in all the write-ups and the FSM I didn't see an instruction to but I have heard from engine builders that usually you have to. I didn't know if Subaru was different.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading information on general engine builds the majority of people seem to say that a "properly torqued head should not need re-torquing"

Anyone?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
I recently did my HG as well and I hadn't thought about re doing the headbolts.

I aswell haven't had any problems.

I would hope that if you follow the torquing procedure you wouldn't have to re torque any bolts.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I've had one instance where removing recently torqued headbolts went much easier than I thought they should. The bolts had been used a few times though, which might have had something to do with it. 1 case out of around 10 jobs isn't too bad, as I might have grabbed my "wheels only" torque wrench that time instead of my "engine only" wrench.

Bottom line.....if the gaskets are bad, they're bad. Retorquing them won't change it. If retorquing takes care of the problem....you're ahead in the long run, provided you change the oil and coolant as a matter of course.

·
Registered
00RS & 02WRX
1,439 Posts
i did mind HG's myself 5k miles ago.never heard about re-torque head bolts.i have no problems at all..

have you send out your heads to the shop let them check it??

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put on a new RAD CAP and a new Thermostat. I am about to drive to work. Wish me luck...

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I flushed my radiator
I replaced my RAD CAP
I replaced my Thermostat
I filled it and ran it with the cap off to let air bubbles out

I AM STILL OVERHEATING.

I can drive all the way to or from work on the highway but as soon as I get off the highway the temp shoots up. Luckily both my work and home are just off the exits so I don't let it get above about 3/4 up the gauge...but still WTF!

Every time it does it I have almost no fluid left in the radiator. HELP! WTF do I do next?

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG my dad just texted me and said we had to bring it to a mechanic if I couldn't figure it out soon!!! WTFBBQ OMG!?!? HELP!

The mechanic is going to say I need a new 02 sensor because of my P0420, and new CATS, and probably a bunch of other shit I DONT NEED.

UGH...if it has TITS or TIRES its TROUBLE.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Are your fans working properly?

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T-stat should be here about 1:00 this afternoon.
The system seems to be pressurizing correctly.
I can't find any external leaks.
Fans are turning on correctly.
I put in a new waterpump during rebuild.

I am going to try a leakdown test tonight if the t-stat doesn't work.

I am at work so I have no jack but I am gonna do my t-stat in my work parking lot. Luckily NAPA is just up the street so I can go get my t-stat.
yep :)

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone wanna buy my car? :(

·
Registered
00RS & 02WRX
1,439 Posts
have to check what is your temp. of you coolant.
my friends car always overheating went to the shop and found the temp gauge not work in order.(the gauge showing overheating but the car really dont)
have you reset your ecu??

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
756 Posts
how many threads are there about your car overheating, matt? LOL

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Take it to the mechanic...... When you get the bill, study it and learn to do those things so you don't have to pay next time.....

It's all part of the learning curve. We can't make your problem disappear when you don't follow the instructions.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
follow the instructions?

i dont know what you mean but okay.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Did you replace the head bolts? Head bolts are special - they stretch. You should not re-use them. If you re-used your head bolts, that may be the culprit.

Otherwise, I've never had to re-torque head bolts in the past.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
^ Uh.. actually.. with our EJ series engines, this is not true. Turns out the Subaru head bolts are not torque-to-yield. This is according to a handful of threads on both here and nasioc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts