Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2001 engine and want to swap out 2.5 2010
Is the bell housing the same on both engines.
This is my first subaru
2001 twin turbo not sure what L it is?
Can anyone help me to know if it will work?Thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont really know what you’re saying, the spelling and puncuation are weird. What is Emerza? Subaru changed the wiring in 2008 to CAN US style so I’m not sure if an older engine will work directly into the newer style car. The block might work but I would think some of the sensor wiring is different. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
916 Posts
Have 2001 engine and want to swap out 2.5 2010
Is the bell housing the same on both engines.
This is my first subaru
2001 twin turbo not sure what L it is?
Can anyone help me to know if it will work?Thank you
2001 twin turbo bellhousing will fit a 2010 car. It is a 2.0L engine.
-The twin turbo right up pipe interferes with the steering column on a left hand drive car (cannot be made to work without custom fabrication).
-Furthermore, those engines are not tunable and have no aftermarket parts.
-Lastly, and most crucially, the electronics wiring has nothing in common with your 2010 car. You will have to make a full custom wiring harness to interface with your car, and even then it won't work because your car's dash and other electronics speak a different language (Canbus, as stalkerGC mentioned). So you would need to buy an expensive standalone computer and an expensive canbus interface. Together those will be $2000+

This is the reason the twin turbos are cheap. And because they are not reliable compared to single turbo engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2001 twin turbo bellhousing will fit a 2010 car. It is a 2.0L engine.
-The twin turbo right up pipe interferes with the steering column on a left hand drive car (cannot be made to work without custom fabrication).
-Furthermore, those engines are not tunable and have no aftermarket parts.
-Lastly, and most crucially, the electronics wiring has nothing in common with your 2010 car. You will have to make a full custom wiring harness to interface with your car, and even then it won't work because your car's dash and other electronics speak a different language (Canbus, as stalkerGC mentioned). So you would need to buy an expensive standalone computer and an expensive canbus interface. Together those will be $2000+

This is the reason the twin turbos are cheap. And because they are not reliable compared to single turbo engines.
I have the whole car with the computer in it! Is this still a good thing? What is a canbus?
This car has right hand steering coming from Japan! It was crashed and I picked it up for 2000! So Im hoping to make it work! Any ideas appreciated!?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
916 Posts
You will still run into the issues that I have already mentioned.

What is canbus? (thank you Iwire):
Part 2: Canbus and your Subaru swap:

I'm not intending to be a dick, but the twin turbo setup in subarus is unreliable garbage, there is no upgrade path, and it will be very expensive for all the custom work, standalone computers and tuning required to put it into your 2010.

If you want to save a bunch of money, and end up with a reliable working car at the end, buy a wrecked 2010 WRX or STI. Move literally everything from the wrecked car into yours. Everything fits, you can buy upgraded parts for it (exhaust, cams, turbos, etc). And best of all you can get the engine tuned with an accessport, or you can take it to a local tuner.

Reactions: PaulFrog
1 - 5 of 5 Posts