Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
at apex, on throttle
'99 RS, '02 Legacy, '10 'beca
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got WRX front seats in my OBS and really want to re-cover the rest of the car.

Well lucky me a WRX wagon owner on 'the other fourm' was selling his complete seat fabric sets from his car (thanks leatherseats.com)

I picked up all the fabric, both front seats and rear seat fabric and 5 headrests (hopefully).

I'm going to make the rear seat cover work. Seat dimensions are similar, but not exactly the same.

As for the door panels... I'm going to cut out the blue (or black) portions of the front seat fabric (extra covers) and put them on my door panels front & rear.

Now all I need is info on how to do this. I'd like to avoid going to pay a shop for the door panels, but if it isn't easy, then I won't attempt it.

All help greatly appreciated... once I've got the interior fabric done, All that's left is gauges & a steering wheel.. everything else has been updated... even that gay accordian shift boot.

Thanks - Jon

·
Registered
Blue 99 2.5RS, blue 02 wrx wag
83 Posts
Replacing your door fabric is not really that tough but finding a good quality spray adhesive is. Removing the door panel and getting the fabric section out is pretty straight forward ,if you've done it before, but when you put the new fabric on you will need to use a good fabric glue that won't come un-done when your car heats up. I'm talking about a contact cement type that the shops normally spray gun on. Most stuff that you can buy in stores will look great when your first put it on but when your car heats up it starts to get saggy.

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you elaborate on the removal process? I was told by a shop that I couldn't remove it, but that they could only glue fabric to what was already on there.

Also I'm attempting to re-cover the rear seats myself the best I can as the local shop wanted $45 per hour and estimated a 3 hour job to restitch teh WRX fabric to my exsisting snap on mounting plactic strips... Doesn't use the metal rods like the WRX does.

Thanks - Jon

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greenhorn I'm going to PM you.

I got the back (upright) portion of the back seat recovered in the last couple days... turned out great!!! Now the bottom seat (base) is going to be a pain... it doesn't use the same similar hog ring method to attach.

It's turning out great and really makes the car look nicer almost like it's more expensive! Defenitley matches the dark blue on the outside of the car which is a plus. I'm going to go with black door panel fabric now... with a twist hopefully ;)

I'll keep updating the process and provide pics if anyone is interested.

old school wagons unite!

Jon

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will post pics when I'm done witht the door panels.

I can't seem to get a hold of HRE-guilio the guy who doesn the headrest embrodery...

I got a delayed response from his e-mail, then it was unable to deliver... guess it would only try so many times.

I need some info from him before I can finish... I've got some ideas.

If anyone knows another way to contact him, let me know...

Also still haven't heard back from Greenhorn about removal of the door panel fabric.. I've e-mailed, PMed, and posted... I'll have to just give it a shot I guess.

Thanks - Jon

·
Registered
Blue 99 2.5RS, blue 02 wrx wag
83 Posts
Sorry I havn't gotten back but I've been busy. From what I have been told the section in the door that you want to recover is a seperate peice mounted from behind but I'm not sure. From looking at it up close it looks like the upolstry shop is right in that the only way to get fabric on is to put it on top of the stock fabric. My car was supposed to have this done by now thus I would be able to tell you exactly how to do it but I have run out of time and money for now. I have seen it done on some cars so I know it's possible. Good luck.

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Stock fabric is pressed on with heat at the factory w/ industrial adhesive... I can only glue on top of it.

I'm going to pick out the fabric this weekend then I've got to send it off to get some 'work' done on it ;) then I'll attempt to put it on.

Found a post on scoobynet.co.uk where a guy did it himself. Hopefully I'll have just as good of luck as he did.

My interior is going to be sweet and for not much money! I can't wait to finish it. All it will need after that is my gauges (which I've changed my plans on) and a 2002 WRX or similar steering wheel (damn they are pricey).

Thanks - Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts