Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had to re clear the Seibon hood? I've had mine for a year and the clear is starting to peel off and it seems to look goldish instead of the dark CF it had when it was new. I went to a couple of body shops and they both said it might do the same thing its doing now and could not guarntee that the color would come back.

So should I keep looking for another paint shop and if so what type of lingo should I listen for to see if they know what they are doing or is my 1 year old hood trash? If only I had put more clear on it before I put it on the car:bonk:

· OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to tell you but that goldish color is from the epoxy not your clear coat. Epoxy degrades in UV light (sunlight) over time. You should be fine with a new layer of clear coat, you'll notice over time the hood will become more and more orangish. It won't affect the strenght its just the color.
Oh that sux, I just bought a CF S201 scoop and V6 spoiler and thier darker than the hood. I guess I could paint the hood:mad:

· Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,297 Posts
just one more reason that 90% of aftermarket body parts are a joke

--

even if you clearcoated it, you might not get a paint warranty as most paint systems don't offer a product to bond to epoxy resin.

you could ask for it to be sanded to 1000 grit, adhesion promoter applied, then cleared.

but this still might not keep from peeling

· Registered
2011 A4
2,520 Posts
just one more reason that 90% of aftermarket body parts are a joke

--

even if you clearcoated it, you might not get a paint warranty as most paint systems don't offer a product to bond to epoxy resin.

you could ask for it to be sanded to 1000 grit, adhesion promoter applied, then cleared.

but this still might not keep from peeling
wow..guess wrc doesn't know wtf they're doing..nor does launsport..nor does jun...nor does do luck...nor does seibon...nor does subaru...im sure they all think they're multi thousand dollar business brought on by quality parts are a joke...:stupid:

· Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,297 Posts
[rant]
well.. I've installed about a dozen different bodykits from Cavaliers, to Streetable Corvettes, to Integras.. every one has been a peice of crap

you pay big $$$$$ for a body kit..

then you put it on and the bodylines are for shit... the bolt holes don't line up, and the fiberglass is so thin you can see thu it... it's wavy as hell... the primer is garbage and needs to be stripped and reprimed... there's pinholes... the part edges wander from straight.. there's always either too much, or not enough of the part to fit correctly.. there are almost never any instructions... anywhere there are peices meeting (fender/headlight, headlight/bumper, bumper/fender) gaps are all retarded. Using stock mounting locations is usally not possible..... things must be ghetto rigged due to poor research and development of the part (nowhere to mount to and such)... installation often blocks access to other areas that need to be accessed!! plus anything fiberglass should not be installed below the door handles of a car.. it's going to break, garaunteed.. it's just a matter of time

so, yeah. these parts are mostly junk....

they're for race cars.. where fit and finish is irrelevant, only weight.. and if it shatters, big whoop, get another.. the sponsor will pay for it....

have you ever seen a race car up close? it's janky as hell!! shitty paint, huge gaps.. sheesh!

if you wanna have a goofy ricer bodykit that hangs off and jiggles when you drive.. go ahead and get some pricey JDM whatnots...

NONE of these products can match the fit, finish, durability and functionality of an OEM part... period.

and to pay MORE than an OEM part for an inferior part is just silly....

----
In a bodyshop, the work "Aftermarket" is a curse word...

it means you're going to have to do twice as much work to install something, it's NOT going to fit right. you're NOT going to get paid more to make it fit right, and the cusomer is going to bitch because IT WON'T FIT RIGHT.. it's a peice of aftermarket shit..

Your compact subaru is a zero tolerance car... so are hondas and toyotas... that means zero millemeters off, anywhere...

a domestic car is 3mm tolerance.. and a truck is 7mm tolerance...

so no, that bodykit is not going to fit properly on your car unless you pay someone a handful of labor hours to cut it up and make it fit half ass close..

so a $400 bumper + $200 shipping plus $600 in labor and paint

that's $1200 just to have a front bumper that's equal in fit and finish to a OEM bumper
--

OEM V5 BODY FTW!!!!

[/rant]

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Just paint the c/f hood. The paint will protect the hood's epoxy from UV and it will look better. 2k primer works wonders

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.