Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been having a coolant issue for a while. I've been having to refill my radiator every couple of days. It seems to lose coolant even faster when I'm at highway speeds.

I've checked my radiator and heater hoses and none of them seem to be leaking. I've let my car run for 30 + minutes twice with a piece of cardboard under it trying to find the leak and didn't see one drop.

I changed the thermostat yesterday since its easy and cheap, and that didn't help.

I don't think I have a blown head gasket because my car isn't smoking and I never really smell coolant.

My guesses are I have a cracked radiator or need a new water pump. what do you guys think?

What else should I try? Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

·
Registered
00 BE, 92 BC, 77 celica GT
2,192 Posts
does your heat stink? how many miles? coolant in the oil? sludge on the radiator cap or filler neck? does heat vary at highway speeds? still have your stock cats?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
does your heat stink? how many miles? coolant in the oil? sludge on the radiator cap or filler neck? does heat vary at highway speeds? still have your stock cats?
My heat seems to work normal

My car just hit 160,000 miles

I changed my oil a few weeks ago and didn't see any coolant in it.

I haven't noticed sludge on the radiator cap either, what should I be looking for?

My heat might vary at highway speeds, I've never really taken notice of it though.

I've still got a stock cat, but the flanges are rusted so it leaks. I'm going to replace the gaskets really soon and eventually get a new cat.

·
Registered
00 BE, 92 BC, 77 celica GT
2,192 Posts
I haven't noticed the heat smelling different, but I may just be used to it haha.

My car just hit 160,000 miles

I changed my oil a few weeks ago and didn't see any coolant in it.

I haven't noticed sludge on the radiator cap either, what should I be looking for?

My heat might vary at highway speeds, I've never really taken notice of it though.

I've still got a stock cat, but the flanges are rusted so it leaks. I'm going to replace the gaskets really soon and eventually get a new cat.

if you can access the hvac drain tube from the hater box, check to see if there is moisture leaving it. does your windshield fog at all?

you did timing belt/water pump im assuming?

ok

you should be looking for a milky/brown milkshake like residue on the radiator cap, a murky looking coolant color, or a pressurized coolant system within 3 minutes of running. another test you can perform is letting the car run with the radiator cap off for an extended period of time @ operating temperature and watch the radiator for bubbles exiting the coolant.

look for the heat changing. if heat is changing, you could be looking at leaking heater core or water pump failing.

stock cats will mask small amounts of coolant smoke leaking/burning out the exhaust.

·
Registered
1999 RSti
822 Posts
With your car running, unscrew your oil cap and check to feel any pressure. That's one of the symptoms of hg's going. Couldn't hurt to drain the coolant and look for oil either. When my hg's were going, the oil looked ok but there was a lot of oil building up in the coolant.

·
Registered
121 Posts
the previous owner of my rs got the head gaskets done prior to my sale , he however doesnt have a clue when the timing belt was change. my odo is at 170k, im thinking that i need to change my water pump, since i seem to be filling coolant fluid every month or so and my heat does smell funny at times. Does that mean i also have to change my timing belt too? :( because timing belt/water pumps are always done at the same time.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
If you know for certain you have a leak, but are unable to find out where it's happening... go get one of those dye and infrared kits. You put a die in the coolant, then go drive around. When you get back, you shine this infrared light in your engine bay, and the dye will light up a different color or something. I've not used one myself, but have seen it done.

This won't help you if it's an internal leak, but it will at least help eliminate or confirm an external leak.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just to help rule things out, why don't you post on the results of everything suggested so far?
Nothing has been suggested, but i did the leave it overnight with cardboard underneath and not a drop. I think ill try what skidd said. Im just afraid it might be the water pump and that would probably mean i need to replace timing belt also since theyre always replaced at the same time, hopefully it doesnt come to that. :(

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had an internal head gasket leak. Paid a shop to fix it, they affirmed that the head gasket was leaking internally. Replaced it among other things. And it ran hot the same day I picked it up. So I've still got a leak somewhere.... Fml

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had an internal head gasket leak. Paid a shop to fix it, they affirmed that the head gasket was leaking internally. Replaced it among other things. And it ran hot the same day I picked it up. So I've still got a leak somewhere.... Fml
oh damn man that sucks, but im not over heating though. I'm only loosing coolant when the cars engine is on so im going to check all the hose, might be leak through the pressure.

·
Registered
01 2.5RS
284 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine. Cant seem to find any external leak so im currently taking my engine part and replacing head gasket.

From what i notice with my leak is that theres these milky brown color residue starting to clog up the PVC valve. I also noticed that when i looked under the oil cap, theres moisture which i know forsure is not normal. I also checked my spark plugs and noticed that in one of the cylinder, the spark plug tip is coated with a light green color.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine. Cant seem to find any external leak so im currently taking my engine part and replacing head gasket.

From what i notice with my leak is that theres these milky brown color residue starting to clog up the PVC valve. I also noticed that when i looked under the oil cap, theres moisture which i know forsure is not normal. I also checked my spark plugs and noticed that in one of the cylinder, the spark plug tip is coated with a light green color.
let us know how that goes!

·
Registered
121 Posts
i was also told it could be a bad/going bad heater core since i get the funky smell when the heater is on and still loosing coolant fluids. the only thing that got me stumped is i've read everywhere that heater failure is a sign of bad heatercore, but my heater is working perfectly. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.