Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In late October of 2018 I bought a 2005 Impreza 2.5RS. About a month after buying it the transmission began to slip after coasting around a corner at slow speeds (10 to 15mph). This would happen randomly and sometimes it would happen a couple times a day, other times it wouldn’t happen for a month or so. The fluid level is good and is a clean red color with no burnt smell whatsoever. I’ve tried a couple drain and fills with valvoline maxlife ATF but with no success. I’ve also tried resetting the ecu but that didn’t help either. Other than the intermittent slipping/surging issue the transmission feels solid and has always been reliable but the issue is beginning to get annoying. I really enjoy the car but the transmission issue is the one thing holding me back from truly loving the car. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I really want to get this issue resolved. The car currently has 135,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
576 Posts
Hmm, I'm not overly familiar with the auto trannys, but it sounds like it could be a solenoid problem, since your fluid is fine. Possibly a clutch pack is worn out?
My line pressure solenoid is going out (I believe) and it will very occasionally surge and buck at light throttle, reverse takes extra time to engage, and in any drive gear I can hear a buzz. Any of those line up with your symptoms?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking either a solenoid or loose wire and your symptoms seem to match mine. I don’t think it could be a clutch pack because other than the occasional issue it shifts and holds gear just fine. I also get the buzzing sound and it’s pretty loud so maybe it could be the line pressure solenoid. Do you have any idea as to where I could get a replacement? I’m willing to try anything to get this fixed.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
576 Posts
I imagine you could pull one from another Subaru automatic 4 speed, not too sure. I was thinking about just swapping in a different trans. Parts cars in my area are usually pretty cheap and offer the option to change your current gearing if desired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts