Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
yeah after finally finding some pictures (thanks aquacow) looks like the main thing is itll be a total pain in the ass to reach in there for height adjustment, but id imagine the original spring perches are mostly out of the way of the GC perches, and looks like the GC sleeve would still settle/rest at the same point
Yeah that's where I found my information on the AGX/GC coil over setup. My first rallycross event on this setup I had a co-driver who took 1st and I took 5th in a very competitive Prepared AWD class.

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
you wouldnt happen to have pics of the 10" GCs with those rates at full up and/or full down would you?
I do not. I installed them around stockish ride height. I let them settle after about a week or so adjusted to where I wanted it and kept it there. pictures are in my journal of the height I used with my car.

·
Registered
99 RBP, 03 MX-5 SE
344 Posts
car/year- 2000 2.5RS

wheel/tire- Stock 6 Spokes/Blizzak's

suspension- Stock w/ rear and front strut bars

brakes- Stock

engine- Stock exp. intake, drop-in, lwp, exhaust

misc- RA flaps, my dog, & a steering wheel cover

favorite track/place to rally- Friendswood Golf Course (IN)

·
Registered
113 Posts
For the record I bought robs agx set up off him and I do have pics of high and low.

High.(at least as high as I was willing to go)

and low just barely under stock maybe inch lower?

·
Registered
'00 Impreza 2.5RS sedan white
84 Posts
I play in the SCCA RallyCross SA class.

car/year- 2.RS sedan / 2000

wheel/tire- '98 gold 5 spokes / Hankook IPikes 205/55-16

suspension- KYB GR2's/Excel, max negative camber front and rear, 0 toe front, slight toe out rear

brakes- Advance Auto Wearever Silver

engine- 2.5RS (stock of course but with rebuilt heads - expensive story involved)

misc- diy mud flaps

favorite track/place to rally- I call north Alabama home but I like to travel too.

·
Registered
2000 2.5L RS Silver
14 Posts
AGX KYB with GC sleevs and 10' springs - NO GOOD !!!

2000 Impreza RS.
Before first RallyX I had stock suspension with only 15' Legacy wheels and 195/65/15 winter tires.
I did just like many people on this forum and went with AGX KYB with GC sleevs and 10' springs 225fr 200rr and STi GrN top hats.
At the end raised car by 1 inch.
What I noticed immediately that the car became worse!!! Yes worse. :(

I can only compare it to the stock set up and few test runs over some local dirty tarmac roads but the result were obvious.

Understeer and Understeer with little more oversteer on the exit (oversteer is good). The ride was jumpy and bouncy.
I went to RallyX and finished 4th overall on my first event.

Here is the thing. The stock spring on RS has smt lke 160fr 147 rr rates on the stock dampers. Now we replacing stock dampers with AGX KYB dampers - which are essentially designed as a stock replacement and designed to work with stock springs. By puting hard 225 and 200 spring we essentially isolated shocks from the suspension - this called -----
UNDER-DAMPING.
At the end it is like your car is riding on the hard spring with no shocks involved. It is raised all right, but suspension travel is decreased and it is essentials on the gravel.

Now I am going softer again with AGX KYB with stock springs back again. I will disconnect front sway bar probably and will go Ice Racing.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L, with stuff.
124 Posts
2000 Impreza RS.
Before first RallyX I had stock suspension with only 15' Legacy wheels and 195/65/15 winter tires.
I did just like many people on this forum and went with AGX KYB with GC sleevs and 10' springs 225fr 200rr and STi GrN top hats.
At the end raised car by 1 inch.
What I noticed immediately that the car became worse!!! Yes worse. :(

I can only compare it to the stock set up and few test runs over some local dirty tarmac roads but the result were obvious.

Understeer and Understeer with little more oversteer on the exit (oversteer is good). The ride was jumpy and bouncy.
I went to RallyX and finished 4th overall on my first event.

Here is the thing. The stock spring on RS has smt lke 160fr 147 rr rates on the stock dampers. Now we replacing stock dampers with AGX KYB dampers - which are essentially designed as a stock replacement and designed to work with stock springs. By puting hard 225 and 200 spring we essentially isolated shocks from the suspension - this called -----
UNDER-DAMPING.
At the end it is like your car is riding on the hard spring with no shocks involved. It is raised all right, but suspension travel is decreased and it is essentials on the gravel.

Now I am going softer again with AGX KYB with stock springs back again. I will disconnect front sway bar probably and will go Ice Racing.
The main issue I see with the post here is about the AGX. The AGX are not designed to be stock replacements, they are more aggressively dampened. Also, you have the adjustments to try and fine tune the set up. Have you tried to run different dampening set-ups to alleviate the bouncy-ness?

Also, if you were doing testing on tarmac, even "dirty" tarmac roads, that is not going to translate, even remotely. My rally car understeers like a pig on tarmac when it is properly set up for gravel.

·
Registered
2000 2.5L RS Silver
14 Posts
The main issue I see with the post here is about the AGX. The AGX are not designed to be stock replacements, they are more aggressively dampened. Also, you have the adjustments to try and fine tune the set up. Have you tried to run different dampening set-ups to alleviate the bouncy-ness?

Also, if you were doing testing on tarmac, even "dirty" tarmac roads, that is not going to translate, even remotely. My rally car understeers like a pig on tarmac when it is properly set up for gravel.
Yes , I tried soft and hard setting front and rear , but the lack of damper travel and "bouncy-ness" is apparent still. I think it's just AGX and 225 springs are not a good pair at all. I should've just bought Forster or Outback spring. I still have my stock springs, so I will try them with AGX.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I never experienced this either I loved the set up and was very competitive with it. Lots of control and I used to set mine 2 front 5 rear for rally cross. I think you just need more time with the setup and to develop more as a driver. Making a huge change to your suspension takes getting used to in a racing scenario. Be patient and learn to drive your car and I bet you'll like it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
P.S. changing your suspension also isn't going to instantly make you the fastest guy around ;) 4th overall at your first event isn't to bad at all.

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
I think it's just AGX and 225 springs are not a good pair at all.
For you, no. For everyone else that understands the comfort trade offs that come with performance-enhancing suspension, it's a great combo. Look at the spring rates designed for up-rated dampers used in a "street" application offered by the aftermarket. The rates are usually high 100s, low 200s which also happen to work quite well for rallyx if they don't lower much.

Prodrive, Tein, Swift, and others probably aren't wrong.

·
Registered
05 2.5rs black
86 Posts
car/year- 05/rs

wheel/tire- steel wheel/Michelin X gravel tires

suspension- Hotbits 1st gen rally suspension (if my research is correct)

brakes- stock for now

engine- uel header, 3" cbe, 8mm I/m spacers, exedy lw flywheel, clutch, pp, delta 2000's

misc-

favorite track/place to rally- Summit Point raceway, WV

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS - Black
227 Posts
Car
01 2.5 RS

Wheels
Stock 6 spokes with General Altimax Artic snow tires

Brakes
Front - 4 pots, stock 06 WRX pads, Stoptech Power Slot rotors
Rear - Stoptech Street Tech pads, Power Slot rotors

Engine
PRM Cold Air Intake
OBX EL Header
OBX Stainless Catback
Cobb Lightweight Crank Pulley - Blue
Area 1320 Throttle Body Spacer
Fresh PRM Air Filter

Suspension/Chassis
04 STi struts revalved by Feal for gravel
04 STi springs & top hats (rear top hats modified for GC bolt pattern)
Cusco Front Strut Tower
Cusco Rear Strut Tower
Rear Cobb Anti Sway Bar
GT Spec Front Fender Braces
1-1/4" Class I Hitch (The previous owner put that on for a bike rack)
Rallitek Front Anti Sway Bar
JDM GC8 Sti Aluminum Control Arms
2004 Sti steering rack with Whiteline bushings
Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
Hotchkis Front Endlinks

Favorite Place to Rally
Anywhere relatively close to home

I want to try unhooking the rear sway bar and seeing how it goes. Possibly the front after that.

Long term, I think I want to get some Ground Control coilover sleeves for the STi struts. I like the ability to adjust the ride height.

And then I'll need to get some proper gravel tires and rally wheels at some point.

·
Registered
2000 2.5L RS Silver
14 Posts
I used to run with a front sway bar, but before last rally - disconnected it at both ends: results - much better front grip. Car starts to roll and grip and just turn in. Highly recommend doing this.

·
Banned
2000 Impreza EJ207
1,600 Posts
It seems like a popular combo is the AGX with GC Coils and 10 inch spring. Does anyone have experience with how these are on the street?

I'm looking for a setup that is primarily for driving to the mountain/doing rallyx. But I don't want it to be terrible on the street.

The car had Bilstein PSS9's when I got it, but the rears are shot, I'm afraid rebuilding them will be crazy expensive with the corrosion we have in VT, and I don't even think they are a great setup for rallyx if they were functioning correctly anyways. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Brighton
491 Posts
^
I ran AGX with 9" (10" would be better) springs on Ground Control perches in autocross for many years and the first three rallycrosses we had in AZ. One shock blew at the third rallycross, but I blame all the years of abuse prior to that (a few guys have rallycrossed them locally for longer without issue). They're a pretty decent solution on the cheap. The drawback is that having the right spring length is important to avoid preload or loose springs at your desired ride height (you may even want to use 11" or 12" springs depending on how soft and how high you want it). Helper springs could be an easy remedy for this problem.

I would talk to Odi at Feal Suspension ([email protected]) about rebuilding the Bilsteins. They can be revalved to better suit rallycross and your spring rates too. He also sells a variety of other setups (including an affordable gravel coilover which I use and won the local championship with). His website is rallyracingsuspension.com. Feel free to drop my name (Brock) when talking to him (might help me out in the future).

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Brighton
491 Posts
And since I don't think I've posted in this thread yet...

car/year-
1997 Subaru Impreza Brighton

wheel/tire-
Currently running BFG gravel tires (med-hard compound) on alloy Legacy wheels. Previously ran 28" BFG T/A KO (truck tires) which felt as grippy as the gravel tires (more grippy in mud) but huge tire = huge gearing, ARP wheel studs.

suspension-
Feal Suspension 441 gravel coilovers. Ran 6kgf/mm all around last year, going to test 300#/250# next event (which is similar to the standard 6k/5k on a stockish weight car). No sway bars, but may experiment more after the spring change. Ran WRX rear links last season. Currently in the process of changing to alloy (STi) front control arms, Whiteline (adjustable) rear links, polyurethane bushings + bump steer and "anti-lift" correction kits.

brakes-
RS front brakes, Outback rear brakes, stainless steel lines

engine-
EJ251 (from a '00 Forester), Delta 1500 cams, Borla header, Supers cats, OBX resonator, no axleback/muffler (because racecar), intake spacers, wideband, S-AFC, Walboro fuel pump

transmission/drivetrain-
RA gears FTMFW! OBX front LSD (helical) with RBryant hardware kit, 4.444 final drive (rear VLSD from a '00 Legacy GT), ACT 9.5 lb flywheel, Group N transmission mount, Exedy "stage 1" clutch (I burnt through standard clutches like crazy), shifter bushings, TiC linkage update, WRX 5th gear (for fuel economy getting to events).

weight-
3.6 lb battery from EarthX, gutted interior, Corbeau driver seat, gutted bumper beams, AC and power steering removed, airbags and other crash safety features removed. I believe it'll currently weight around 2400 lb, but it's been a couple years (and a few parts replaced) since it was last on a scale.

misc-
1/8" aluminum skidplate, 4-point harness, 3 other drivers.

favorite track/place to rally-
Wherever the competition is. If it's within a reasonable distance, the car is working properly, and I can afford to, I will race wherever/whatever.

(I've had the car since 2006)

81 - 100 of 108 Posts