·
at apex, on throttle
'99 RS, '02 Legacy, '10 'beca
1,184 Posts

car/year- 1995 Impreza L

wheel/tire- 15x7 w/ used mich. rallies or 16x7 w/ snows

suspension- AST 5100 Rally Spec 225f / 200r

brakes- 4 pot front, RS rear

engine- '95 WRX (EJ20G) stock TD05-16g, larger TMIC, HKS bov. coming soon STi yellows and Rob eprom tune.

misc- custom mud flaps, ultrashield rallysport seats (un-installed), RA roof vent (un-installed), period correct front bumper, alum. early hood, RS coupe spoiler (un-installed)

favorite track/place to rally- anywhere. Our older site in Lincoln was great and I'll be trying out our new site in Lincoln this sunday! Home of National Championships for 2011 it sounds like.

·
Registered
97 impreza l wagon
108 Posts
what should i get for spring rates with ground controls wit AGXs for a GF (97 wagon)??? everyone reccomends 225/200 for a GC but im guessing i need something around 225/250 for the wagon?

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
what should i get for spring rates with ground controls wit AGXs for a GF (97 wagon)??? everyone reccomends 225/200 for a GC but im guessing i need something around 225/250 for the wagon?
Same chassis and not that different in weight so the 225/200 should do just fine.

·
at apex, on throttle
'99 RS, '02 Legacy, '10 'beca
1,184 Posts
How are you going to attach the coilover spring to your agx?
cut perch w/ coilover sleeves?

If so, 10" springs will likely life the car higher than is desired for a good rallyx setup. I don't have first hand experience, but I would think that 9" is as tall as you could go and have it work reasonably well.

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
How are you going to attach the coilover spring to your agx?
cut perch w/ coilover sleeves?

If so, 10" springs will likely life the car higher than is desired for a good rallyx setup. I don't have first hand experience, but I would think that 9" is as tall as you could go and have it work reasonably well.
On their website the 9" is a -2" to stock ride height. The 10" which is what I used is a +1" to -1" ride height. You don't need to cut the lower spring perch although some people do, like myself. If you ever wanted to switch to a more stock style spring then you would want to keep the lower perch.

·
Registered
'00 Impreza 2.5RS sedan white
84 Posts
I'm fixin' up mine to run in stock. I'm going to install a set of KYB GR2's and then put some snow tires on the stock wheels. I'd like to get a set of Winterforces but Tirerack doesn't seem to have them in a 205/55-16. Will the 205/60-16's fit on a stock suspension and stock wheels without rubbing? What's the tallest and what's the widest tire that'll fit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
'98 Outback Sport.
stripped interior
RS shifter and air intake
everything else it pretty much stock for now

Had to put some carpet down because they said the wiring had to be covered up to pass safety

·
Registered
117 Posts
the 10" ground-control coilover springs could be set at stock ride height or up to an inch above stock ride height. If you want to lower the car, or don't intend to go above stock height, get 9" springs.

Here they are with the spring perches cut off, and the "ground control" coilover springs on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are stock RS Struts and Top Mounts with Ground Control Coilover Sleves and the stock spring perch cut off?

How long do the stock struts last with the higher spring rates?

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are stock RS Struts and Top Mounts with Ground Control Coilover Sleves and the stock spring perch cut off?

How long do the stock struts last with the higher spring rates?
If you read these are the KYB AGX struts you can use stock top hats and keep the lower spring perch if you really want to. I used these and loved the DD ride and how they handle in Rally X and Auto X. I used the 225/200 spring rates.

·
Registered
V3 RA Brighton my96
200 Posts
Hey guys where do you rally in cal city. I bought a house there about 5 months back but I never really explored yet

·
Registered
1998 2.5rs - RBP
205 Posts
Hey, being new to rally-cross, I just bought an RS to dedicate to rally-x. Its been gutted and work is being done to it, but the tires i have now have cracks in the side wall from sitting by the last owner.

It is on stock 6 spokes right now, and I am looking for the best choice(s) for rally tires that will fit on these wheels. I did some searching, but it looks like everyone is using aftermarket wheels and tires, but the car needs more work before we can put money towards a new set of wheels at this point.

Thanks!

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
there are no gravel tires made in 16" size period. get a set of snow tires and run stock class if you want to stick with 16" stock wheels.

otherwise, get a set of cheap legacy 5-spokes and a set of used rally tires. I used to find sets of the 15" wheels for 100-200, and volunteer to crew for rally teams in exchange for used gravel tires.

specialstage.com classifieds is your friend

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts

suspension: prodrive/bilstein WR, 20mm rear sway bar, stock front, noltec camber/caster plates, replaced most all bushings
brakes: 11.4" wrx front rotors, stainless steel lines, hawk HPS pads
tires: was running continental all seasons, just got some blizzaks
engine: delta 1000 cams, uel headers
i have a primitive racing skidguard but havent really found the need for it yet just doing rallyx...

been pleased as punch with the way the prodrive WR setup handles on the dirt. also cool to see yall are running 225/200 spring rates as thats exactly what i had planned for the ground controls, or whatever i try if i move away from the original WR springs

On their website the 9" is a -2" to stock ride height. The 10" which is what I used is a +1" to -1" ride height. You don't need to cut the lower spring perch although some people do, like myself. If you ever wanted to switch to a more stock style spring then you would want to keep the lower perch.
i wasnt aware you could mount GC's without cutting the spring perch - im real interested in this, ive been wanting to run them but didnt want to cut up my struts. do they just sit up higher? should i get a lower (<9") spring? it occurs to me i dont even really know how they go on

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts

suspension: prodrive/bilstein WR, 20mm rear sway bar, stock front, noltec camber/caster plates, replaced most all bushings
brakes: 11.4" wrx front rotors, stainless steel lines, hawk HPS pads
tires: was running continental all seasons, just got some blizzaks
engine: delta 1000 cams, uel headers
i have a primitive racing skidguard but havent really found the need for it yet just doing rallyx...

been pleased as punch with the way the prodrive WR setup handles on the dirt. also cool to see yall are running 225/200 spring rates as thats exactly what i had planned for the ground controls, or whatever i try if i move away from the original WR springs

i wasnt aware you could mount GC's without cutting the spring perch - im real interested in this, ive been wanting to run them but didnt want to cut up my struts. do they just sit up higher? should i get a lower (<9") spring? it occurs to me i dont even really know how they go on
Only thing the lower perch will do is keep the GC coil's lower perch from making the car go lower. Unless you use a shorter coil like the 8" or 9".

I'm not 100% on this since I did cut the lower perch off my KYB AGXs.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
yeah after finally finding some pictures (thanks aquacow) looks like the main thing is itll be a total pain in the ass to reach in there for height adjustment, but id imagine the original spring perches are mostly out of the way of the GC perches, and looks like the GC sleeve would still settle/rest at the same point

61 - 80 of 108 Posts