Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if rally cars have power steering or some form of steering aide. I am guessing that they would have something like that to help the rapid turns.... but maybe I am wrong, maybe someone can help me by shedding some light on this subject! Thanks a bunch guys!

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
Rally cars are just like street cars most of the time...if they came with it..they have it!! ;)

As Jamie can attest to..it is a real bitch when the steering pump goes out. She had to drive a couple of stages at Rim without it...and she was a hurting unit.

Can't wait until our rally season starts!!!
:D

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
Scooby_RS said:
Eleven days and counting till the Sprints......:D
At least you have a ride for it!!! I might come watch!! ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank god. if they didnt, it must be a nightmare to steer around those corners and counter-steer. Thanks for the info everyone!

and all this time all of my Drag Racing friends say it was uncool to have power steering..... thats because they go in a straight line. We gotta actually turn the steering wheel!:happynow:

·
Registered
283 Posts
"uncool" to have power steering? Thats funny. Especially from people who go in a straight line all day long.

The rally cars we see on WRC have quite an elaborate setup on steering. I believe their entire # of steering wheel revolutions required to go wheel to wheel is like 1/3 of what a normal car would have.

Is that setup they have located within the hub? Or what is the name of this which I am speaking of?

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Caddy Daddy said:
.......is that setup they have located within the hub? Or what is the name of this which I am speaking of?........
On some of the cars, I think that is the paddle shifter assembly.
Mmmmm....Paddle Shifters.....:drool:

I'm supprised the WRC cars have P/S only because the steering wheel is so big. Man, I'd love to increase the steering ratio to get 1/3 less turns lock/lock. That would be a great mod.

The WRX RA has a faster steering rack?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The WRX RA has a faster steering rack?
yes, 13:1. the regular STi has 15:1. we have 16:1. who knows what the USDM STi will have? it would be nice to have a quick ratio LHD steering rack available should i ever decided to leave GS :)

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Who do we have to bribe or kill to get 13:1 LHD steering racks over here?
My 240Z had removable steering knuckles that bolted between the hub and tie rod, so you could fit the Nisno knuckles and dramatically quicken steering while somwhat increasing the steering effort. How could I do this to my RS?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS silver coup
35 Posts
Check out http://www.rev-lab.com/

I saw a heavily modded Canadian RS for sale that listed the rev-lab quick rack as one of the mods. There was a lot of discussion a couple of years ago on the old i-club about quicker racks. None were available at the time for left-hand drive and the cost of a custom one-off was estimated to be exorbitant.

This one sure is tempting, but I'd very much like to drive a car with one installed before sinking that kind of money into one.

-- Larry B.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Thanks for the link Larry- I can imaginw how great it would be to have one of those. $1300 seems kind of high just for a conversion though. I'm going to contact them and see if just the internals can be had. Probably not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts