Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found my radiator support was loose. I went to unbolt it to retighten it and I couldn't get it to budge so I used a ratchet to try and remove it and the head snapped off. It broke off recessed any idea's on removing before drilling it out? I don't have a welder and don't know how to weld so I can't do that. what is the pitch thread for the bolt?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
471 Posts
Pics would help a lot, is it the bottom support? I'm guessing you'll have to drill it out anyway. Unless you're cool using self-tappers on your car. :run:

If you can get to the other side, where presumably the threaded end of the bolt protrudes, you could try an extractor socket. You'll probably need lots of penetrating oil in the threads, and tap it with a hammer a bunch. If you can get to it.

Good luck, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics would help a lot, is it the bottom support? I'm guessing you'll have to drill it out anyway. Unless you're cool using self-tappers on your car. :run:

If you can get to the other side, where presumably the threaded end of the bolt protrudes, you could try an extractor socket. You'll probably need lots of penetrating oil in the threads, and tap it with a hammer a bunch. If you can get to it.

Good luck, I feel your pain.
It was dark out couldn't get a good pic. It's the upper brackets. I bought this to try and get out. I'm going to soak it in kroil for a few days. I think someone used an impact on it and got jammed it wasn't like that before I brought the car to a shop. I also found my main engine ground disconnected last night. No idea how long it's be like that or how the car was even running on a single 8 gauge ground.

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-53227-Multi-Spline-Extractor/dp/B0002SRG66/ref=pd_day0_hl_469_2/147-1686794-0043265?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002SRG66&pd_rd_r=2704fd8e-6268-11e9-af2b-df456cd2a423&pd_rd_w=yJJGP&pd_rd_wg=D0ndZ&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=R26SS09ZEA1TE80XTJ5B&psc=1&refRID=R26SS09ZEA1TE80XTJ5B

·
Baby Sitter
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
this happens often to rust belt cars because the bottom is exposed.

best bet is to drill and tap it out, if you are good or lucky you can get it almost perfectly centered and drill out the bolt and chase out the old threads.

work of caution though when you go and drill put a piece of metal underneath it so when you go through the bottom you don't accidentally hit the ac core.

i would not waste my time with an easy out on it, 15 minutes to drill and tap

·
www.jackstalk.com
04 WRX, 911 Cab, Escalade ESV
5,373 Posts
Its easy to drill out and even throw a threaded bolt with a nut on the bottom. Or do what the rest of us do and just double ziptie and call it a day

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my project. I put a slit in the bottom with a Dremel and used a flat-head to get it out. I had the radiator out at the time so you may not be able to do it.

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the same thing happen on my project. I put a slit in the bottom with a Dremel and used a flat-head to get it out. I had the radiator out at the time so you may not be able to do it.
I'll give that a try if the extractor doesn't work. I think I should be able to get to it if I remove the grill.

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the extractors in. I tried using it and it snapped immediately. I snap 15 mins trying to drill it out no go. Took the grill off and found the the body cracked my jdm grill after I asked him to be careful with it, never fixed the damage he was supposed to . I tried use vise grips underneath but it keeps slipping off there not enough room without pull the a/c condenser out to use a dremel to cut the bolt from underneath.

I should of just drilled it out instead of messing with extractors. If I try using a socket on the nut underneath will it bend the radiator support? If not what kind of drill bit can I use to drill it out

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
471 Posts
Kinda doubt it, I've used the same bits to try to drill out cam cap bolts and they wouldn't touch em. Might be better off buying one or two single specially bits, hardened steel or something.

·
www.jackstalk.com
04 WRX, 911 Cab, Escalade ESV
5,373 Posts
In the future, the best way ive found to unbolt rusted engine bay bolts (top fender and washer bottle come to mind) is to use a 1/8inch rachet instead of 3/8 or 1/2 drive so you arent applying too much torque. I also douse them in wd40 and carefully unscrew a little, then screw back in to move the fluid throughout. Also you definitrly want to spray the back ends of the bolts because thats what is goong through the threads. Subaru realized this issue and partially fixed it on the GD model by remounting the washer bottle apart from the strut tower.

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the future, the best way ive found to unbolt rusted engine bay bolts (top fender and washer bottle come to mind) is to use a 1/8inch rachet instead of 3/8 or 1/2 drive so you arent applying too much torque. I also douse them in wd40 and carefully unscrew a little, then screw back in to move the fluid throughout. Also you definitrly want to spray the back ends of the bolts because thats what is goong through the threads. Subaru realized this issue and partially fixed it on the GD model by remounting the washer bottle apart from the strut tower.
I'll give it a try when I have to remove the bolts on the passenger side tower when I do the swap in june. I was going to use an impact those.

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I bought some grinding stones for my rotary tool. I think I was able to get all of the extractor out. One of them binded and snapped off near the end I put another one on and tried again but it started binding again. I think it was because my battery was dying. I tried using my drill again and it looked like it was getting through now but the battery was dying on that too and didn't have enough power. I'm charging up the battery's and going to give it a try again tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-953-2-Aluminum-Oxide-Grinding/dp/B078748PXS/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?crid=KZQ7QW47SZYU&keywords=953+dremel&qid=1556046527&s=gateway&sprefix=953+dre,aps,215&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

1 - 20 of 24 Posts