Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
00' RS SRP, 00' Ver.8 RS swap
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been doing some searching and still am just not getting what I want for info. So I believe my radiator cracked or something and plan on pretty much redoing my whole cooling system since my car has a 115,xxx and will be getting swapped in a year or so, so I want an upgrade.

I'm looking at the koyo but I want to make sure about it. Alot of place sell it for 93-98 Imprezas, its the R2218 model radiator, is that the right one for the 2.5RS? That seems to be what is available but I want to verify this.

Also what would be a good relatively inexpensive thin fan to match with the radiator, I can't go spending 200+ on a FAL fan system.

But thats pretty much what I need to know, and I plan on replacing the cap with a new 16PSI stocker, getting a failsafe 170F TStat, and when I go take apart the radiator and everything right now I'm going to check the water pump to see if I should replace that as well, which I believe is still original.

And for curiosty what is the black radiator like object in front of the radiator is that for the AC?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea well i'm planning on swapping the engine in a year and the car is going to be garaged and used for autoX/track purposes primarily so making sure its the right koyo would work for me actually.

·
Registered
681 Posts
hehe I love it when people over build cars for no reason. Do you have any indication that the stock radiator is not efficient enough for what you are doing? The stock cooling system is very good. I would look into oil cooling first. I don't mean to be an ass I just don't see the need for an upgraded radiator unless you are running the car at the limits. The stock WRX radiator does it's job just fine. it I run a stock 1.8L radiator in my rally car and have no cooling issues. This is with a 2.2T hybrid.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and yea i found the radiator for less than stock cost and i picked up a fan for it cheap so why wouldn't I just for the hell of it, its not like I spent a shit load of money on it. So my question is like I already said why not? I know the stock system is good, but regardless of that why not have a better system for about the same cost. Even though at the current moment it won't matter and probably never will and i'm the first to admit that, no matter what you think about over doing things, if its not costing more who gives a shit, ya know what i'm saying? its not gonna hurt the car thats for damn sure and it will look good :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i didn't think about that at first, but seriously if I didn't get the koyo for such a good price I definitly would have never gone that route and I would also never buy an aftermarket "OEM" rad from a parts store. Something really good (koyo) or genuine subaru. Only routes to go.... EVER!

·
Premium Member
2001 Impreza OBS
2,180 Posts
The reason a lot of people can get away using stock radiators on builds is because they stay with a TMIC. Soon as you go with a FMIC, you will probably need to upgrade the radiator because its not getting the proper airflow across it like it was before. I will probably have to upgrade mine once i get done with my new build... but i will just cross that bridge once i get to it.

-Thomas

·
Registered
98 RS Now with more interior!
20,050 Posts
Well one reason to upgrade your radiator is because every 10 degrees you run cooler its the equivalent of an octane point of fuel. So if you run a Koyo with an aftermarket thermostat it's essentially running better fuel. It's not "overbuilding" it's a good way to make your car faster and run longer. ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, i just remember i need a new fan for the koyo. Any suggestions? I know there is FAL and another company but i can't remember the name I have the site somewhere. but what model/parts numbers work properly, if anyone knows please let me know and tell where I can buy them! I driving an oldsmobile alero right now and I need these parts so I can bring my car back to life!

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I have the R2218 koyo and the FAL duals. Trying to find a good way to mount the suckers on there. The only quick solution I can see without spending time/money on custom brackets is to use their stupid plastic mount sticks that came with them which poke through the radiator core but I'd rather not have to do that unless there's just no other choice.

Radlad, if you still needed to know, the R2218 fits a 00-01 RS just fine, with all oem mounting spots in the right places. The only problem is of course the thickness of the damn thing when used with the stock fans. The FAL 210 duals rest perfectly flush on the koyo, but I have no idea how to mount it without resorting to using the stupid plastic mounts that I know will tear up the radiator core at least a little bit. The mount holes on the fans are just no where near the mount points on the koyo.

Then there's also the wiring that I still need to figure out some way of ghetto rigging to the stock fan harness somehow...

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,291 Posts
just put in a stock wrx radiator, and stock fans no need to go koyo unless you are building a race car.
What year wrx? Would the 02 usdm style bolt in fine or is there anything that needs to be modified? I'm putting in an ej20k setup and I want to use the expansion tank. I don't want to rig around the tank to use my 1.8 radiator although others have done it.

·
Registered
'98 Forester
95 Posts
What year wrx? Would the 02 usdm style bolt in fine or is there anything that needs to be modified? I'm putting in an ej20k setup and I want to use the expansion tank. I don't want to rig around the tank to use my 1.8 radiator although others have done it.
Early WRX radiator will not work unless you already have the expansion tank setup ... stock WRX radiator does not have a radiator cap , the radiator cap is in the exp. tank ... so yea, if your in the middle of the ej20k then yea, WRX rad. but if your not going to do that for a while , the WRX radiator will not work with the stock engine .... , the later WRX rads had a cap ....Not sure on direct bolt in fitments though ...oh .. and stock fans are plenty ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts