·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whip: MY 2001 BRP GM6

As the saying goes:
"You don't know what you've got until you don't have it, anymore."

(& for my religious pplz, Matthew 25: 14-30. Basically talks about wasting talent & eternal damnation due to regret)

So, I'm away on military duty, & facing a few crisis(es..?)/dilemmas with personal ish back home, & at some point thought it would be a good/'mature' idea to throw the 'ol gal for sale.. Maybe someone would take better care of her than I had failed to, within the past few years. Basically, I stocked parts but never progressed her build, or her intended maintenance as a daily driver, esp when I lost compression on 2cyls on the stocker EJ251 in the late summer of '14. On the civilian side, I'm an automotive technician by trade. They say techs are the most abusive towards their own cars, & I think that's because we know what we can get away with, lol.

Well, that idea lasted less than 24 hrs. I had listed my car for sale for way too high of a reasonable price, also as outlined by a friend of mine, on here. Even in the ad, I stated my pride didn't want me to cave in to selling her... The mission was not complete. No one has a gun to my head to sell her, & I knew I wasn't ready. So, I'm shifting gears (pun ) & transitioning from a "F/S", to a "build" thread.

The change of heart came about while we were busting our tails out in the field.. I didn't want to live in regret. I fix other vichs all the time, while not chasing my own build goal. Building is like art to me; it's a talent. There's something I've been meaning to build, & tomorrow isn't promised.

More info (past details and future ambition) and pics to come later, as service is crap down where we're at & I can't even upload pics, but I've got just enough to troll & rant about builds that haven't happened yet. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of pics as she sat a few months-almost a year ago

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Counting down the days I'll be getting back home to work her out lol

Here's the direction we're hoping to head in (plus alil some extra goodies here & there) if the title didn't give it away: V5/6 Impreza WRX STi RA Type R (I say "we", as in, you fine dudes & dudettes in the community will help me get there.. This isn't a solo effort. Y'all are awesome)
Throwback to where this stemmed from, but not where it began. I don't wanna keep ranting in here haha..!

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, RA models are lighterweight.. I've had vehicles with & without power options in the past. I don't think I'll be robbing myself of those amenities, so the goal isn't gonna be a truly bare-bones "RA" (pun.. Lol) but I'll be doing reductions wherever I can. The drivetrain will definitely be on the lines of RA, as well as inspiration when suspension tuning.

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the first Gen Impreza RA's have the thinner windshields and door glass?
I believe so, I'm not 100% sure but I know they lacked foglamps & a rear wiper for reduction, & possessed a roof vent. I like my fogs, & coming from a background of hatchback cars, find rear wipers extremely functional, so those aren't going to be on the copping block. If it wasn't already equipped with a sunroof, I'd contemplate doing the vent, but that's not a high priority at the moment. I'll explore options if I ever get to the level of looking at saving every single ounce lol

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hence why I waited till an L popped up for sale. roll-up windows, no sunroof and cheap

Werd up, that's a good move. Good ish on your find! I haven't detailed how I ended up with an RS, but an L was on an option list @ one point.. Though, in the end, things didn't pan out as the seller didn't have the title

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Speaking of the weight devil, it looks like the Version 6 Type R Limited weighed in @ 1260kg, or ~2780 lbs. Once I get to a point where I can move the vehicle freely, I'll aim for that area. It'll be interesting to actually feel the differences once power-to-weight ratios are altered

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was at 2460lbs but I'm sure it will be higher now with widebody, full interior and 265's on the corners.
You could always lighten up with an aluminum hood too, bro.. Not sure how much interior you plan on retaining, but you've got options & even with 265s, you could get lightweight wheels

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...Then she arrived. Not to mention, the stocker was alleviated of her N/A glory before I had started training, earlier in the year. I'd say we're off to a good solid start.

·
Registered
'01 BRP GM6
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing much to report.. Acquiring an '04 STi crossmenber this week, hopefully ????

First time I'm going knee deep into the Scooby game, outside of forum trolling. Didn't realize how involved I've got to get when regarding tuning options to make the engine management work with accessible USDM parts, although I wasn't completely naive. So, I'm learning as I go along, and research is ones best friend lol. More to come, as it comes along..!

·
Registered
266 Posts
try to find a 06-07 WRX. is a bit stronger and STi steering ratio without the STi price. Pick up a set of Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings and roll-center kit if lowered, you'll swear it drives like a gokart.

And not worried about weight loss on my coupe. I'm old and grumpy so I need my interior to keep me calm and I have a 1620lb Justy and a spare 04 WRX driveline that I may swap one day.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts