Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 馃憢馃徏, I am new to this site, I am in need of a right side rear axle to suit a R160 ver1 VLSD.
I finally got around to pulling the diff out to fix the leaking seals and have discovered I have standard R160 axles both sides.
I believe for the LSD to work I will be needing unequal length axles.
From reading an excellent post from this forum I believe I just need a right hand axle that has two different size splines. The right spline fits into the center cog and the other smaller spline goes into to lsd housing.
The left standard axle fits into the left center cog and outside lsd housing.
Is this correct?

Thank you in advance 馃檹馃徏

Administrator
2000 RSTi
Negatron, the 91 SS had unequal length stubs. They used the same axles as any 90-94 legacy.

To the OP: you're better off getting a torsen rear diff from a GDA WRX. They use normal axles and have a way better LSD. Subaru hasn't used the unequal length axles in decades, and they're hard to find. Most people rebuild theirs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Negatron, the 91 SS had unequal length stubs. They used the same axles as any 90-94 legacy.

To the OP: you're better off getting a torsen rear diff from a GDA WRX. They use normal axles and have a way better LSD. Subaru hasn't used the unequal length axles in decades, and they're hard to find. Most people rebuild theirs.
I thought they Might be like hens teeth 馃槅
GDA is that like 2002-2004 models?

Administrator
2000 RSTi
GDA is bugeye WRX, the years varied by country. I had that diff and it was awesome. Mine was 4.11 final drive, but you can bolt that torsen center into a different final drive diff.

To be clear, the Torsen rear diff was in JDM GDA wrx's. The USDM got the lame (but conventional axle using) VLSD rear diff on the bugeye wrx's. I'm not sure about other market cars.

Reactions: Ironhorn

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GDA is bugeye WRX, the years varied by country. I had that diff and it was awesome. Mine was 4.11 final drive, but you can bolt that torsen center into a different final drive diff.

To be clear, the Torsen rear diff was in JDM GDA wrx's. The USDM got the lame (but conventional axle using) VLSD rear diff on the bugeye wrx's. I'm not sure about other market cars.
Ok I think in Aus the STI has the Torsten rear diff.
i will try around and see if I can hunt down an axle first as the diff is fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I managed to find a pair of 98 LSD that are the correct axles at my local wreckers鈥 think they had been sitting in the axle bin for near on 15 years 馃槅
Anyway cleaned them pulled them apart new CV boots and fresh grease and i should finally have that LSD working as it should be 馃憤馃徏

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts