Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I obviously have an issue...

I am perfectly fine not smoking when I'm at home, no wants or urges or anything... as soon as I'm in the field or dealing with gay work stuff I get pissed and smoke half a pack... my site just found butts from my last field op and is pissed, I'm basically needing to quit... I don't wanna fight with my wife about it but I feel like I need to out here...

This has been ongoing for 3 years now mind you... I quit for 7 months before this last deployment and now I'm back at it... thoughts?

·
Registered
01 RS
170 Posts
If you really want to quit that's all you need. At least that's what finally worked for me. You truly need to want to quit or it just won't work out. Since you have made it 7 months before, next time you start getting the itch to smoke just relax for a few minutes and it goes away. I never managed to quit till a year after I got out of the Marines. Been 4 years now and still to this day I crave one every now and again. The more time that goes by the less I want one, but still happens.

My dad smoked for something like 20 years, only way he could quit was to say "When I turn 90 I'm starting again." Been something like 25 years since he quit. He says he still finds himself looking around the house for something. When he realises that it's a cigarette he is looking for. It never truly goes away.

Best of luck to you it's a bitch to really kick the habit, but the best thing I have ever done.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
you need to have a mindset that you are quitting. after that, it's just all mind games and habits. it was so hard for me to quit that i don't dare to smoke a cigarette now. don't give yourself excuses to smoke one.

·
Registered
Black 98 2.5 RS
736 Posts
Welcome to a lifetime of struggling with it. I can smell it on people or when I'm down wind and it drives me nuts. I don't think there is really a trick, its all just will power...

·
Registered
2000 BRP 3.3RS
1,073 Posts
Military to Military...Embrace the Suck. Smoking doesn't change the situation, so I've never found a point to it. Sounds like you more just need a break to cool off and get some air, since it doesn't seem to follow you home. I know, easier said than done, but maybe it will help you quit if you think about it instead of lighting one up. Try to distract yourself with bullshitting with someone next time you go for a smoke? Honestly, I just work through all my problems. I mean work, not handle them.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
since you have quit for 7 months, you know the craving and urge feelings. i think knowing those feelings and able to battle them is the most important bits. good luck, i know it's not easy.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 3.3RS
1,073 Posts
I don't think it's quitting, it's not starting back up again. If you can limit where you smoke, and you've quit altogether, it's obviously possible. You just need to find another outlet as a substitute.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And that's what I have been trying to do, I need to find something that is an outlet for when I get pissed but is not smoking...

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
I smoke about once or twice a month when the shit hits the fan at work ;) Since I dont smoke on the regular the high feels so good but then I realize that I feel like getting sick :lol:

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
try something involving exercise
I work out 5 days a week...

I did 4 days of straight patrolling this week and ended with a 8k hike...

Working out feels good but now that my body is wearing out on me its not the same... but I do understand with the endorphins and such that are involved with it...

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
find another stress reliever, like the spring loaded hand clamps, it allows u to release endorphins which will help with stress your body is addicted to the "fix".

im sorry to say this but i would never pick up smoking and i feel that is a lame excuse to deal with stress. like your sooooo stressed ....

im addicted to working out for sure, i love the pump, energy and i go nuts on days off. i need to have that rush of blood flow, that "natural high" as people call it.

your going to get angry when your telling your self no so seriously think about the spring loaded clamps ;) let out some anger, its healthly

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dip in the field, smoking is a no go in the states during training... at least in my group...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand that friend, because I also want to often calm my nerves and smoke a few cigarettes and you can’t even imagine how difficult it is for me to control myself. A couple of years ago I completely quit smoking and from that moment I did not smoke a single cigarette and I am proud of it :)
Sometimes, despite this, I feel a strong desire to smoke and then the vape helps me. This is a great solution for smokers. If you use a liquid with the correct consistency, then you will get the same effect as from cigarettes. I have been using liquids with mint and lemon from Buy Vape Liquid UK Online E-Liquid Suppliers | AquaVape UK Made for a long time and it helps me to relax a lot.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
268 Posts
Necro thread bump if there ever was one! But worth it.

I chewed cope for 20 years and quit about a month back. I didn't throw any out, just designated my last can as such.

I miss it only when Im awake ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts