Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a few months now and finally got the balls to start looking for a swap. Based on my needs/wants/expectations, I would like to do a WRX motor swap. Here's where my question comes in, would it be more cost effective for me to simply buy a used low-mile longblock, or a blown shortblock, and just buy a rebuild kit? I know buying the longblock will probably be the easier way out since it's all complete, however I think I'm up to the challenge. I would like some input, not start a huge debate or anything like that. Thanks guys

Rafal

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Well, to me, starting with more, or at least a cleaner engine is better. If your tight for cash, fix a blown one, ive done about 3 of those. Sometimes you discover more problems than you thought, say to get a block with bad head gaskets? whyd they go bad? maybe a warped head. Why is it warped? maybe overheating. why overheating? maybe bad thermostat, or leaky headgaskets? you know, one things always lead to another...

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to me, starting with more, or at least a cleaner engine is better. If your tight for cash, fix a blown one, ive done about 3 of those. Sometimes you discover more problems than you thought, say to get a block with bad head gaskets? whyd they go bad? maybe a warped head. Why is it warped? maybe overheating. why overheating? maybe bad thermostat, or leaky headgaskets? you know, one things always lead to another...
that is a valid point, I'm just having a difficult time finding a complete WRX engine, and I figured since I'm going to be pieceing it, I might as well start with a blown one and rebuild it myself. Buying a wrecked WRX is kind of out of the question as I only have a 1.5 car garage and 3 cars in the drive way so no room for the wreck

·
Registered
2005 Baja Turbo
1,448 Posts
regardless of if it's blown or not, I would do at least a compression and leakdown test on a new used motor. Heck, if I were doing a swap, I'd tear it down and rebuild it (unless it's got like 10k miles on it or something like that), unless you know for sure that everything was properly maintained on your donor.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is the debate I'm having in my head! lol, but I think i'll just buy a blown shortblock, get a rebuild kit, go over my budget again and possibly get a forged rebuild kit, and just buy all accessories used (maybe even rebuilt), and I know this a dumb question, but are there any accessories from my 2.5 block what will swap over to the 2.0? I tried searching for that but got nothing, thanks for the responses guys!

Rafal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts