Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd give everyone over at the GC8 board first work of this project that Rev-Lab & Rallitec are undertaking.. I will post this in the vendors forum when it's finished, but figured I'd let everyone in on it over here before the "other" board.

This is the project-

"R-squared" Quick Steering rack
A Steering rack that is actually faster than the JDM WRX STi RA RHD rack.
30% quicker steering
~2.4 turns lock to lock, vs ~3.4 turns stock
Better Feedback
Manufactured from OEM Subaru steering rack rebuild kit

And the Kicker, the price - $1300 US (plus shipping)

That's right, none of this $6000 US nonsense for a prodrive quick rack or buying and adapting a RHD quick rack, this is the real deal. No bullshit. We have 3 GC8 racks ready to ship as of this writing, but I'm waiting until I can get a chance to update our site and finalize plans prior to releasing this widespread.

Basically, it'll work like this - you get us the stock rack before the end of any given week, and we get the quick rack back to you by wednesday the following week. This way we don't have to charge a core charge, but your car will be down for about a week.. Later on we might implement a core charge idea, but for now we are going to stay away from it.

Anyways, I'll post more when the site is done, I have a video of this and it freaked me out when I saw it in motion. 1.25 turns from center to lock, Crazy!!

Keep an eye out in the vendor forum when we're ready :)

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS BRP
330 Posts
That will be a sweet setup for auto-x. I hate having to turn the wheel so much, my little arms get tired;)

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
SWEET! must have!....is it still gonna be the same price in the next 2 to 3 years?

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully they'll be around as long as people want them, so indefinately.. yes :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sorry for being a noob, but would there be a problem with
a quick ratio rack during everyday driving?
how about when you are going straight on the freeway.
would the steering be sensitive at high speed? would you be steering with one finger :p

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
What's the steering ratio?

The overall steering ratio (12:1, 14:1, etc.) is measurable using turntables under the front wheels. Beginning with the front wheels pointed straight ahead, rotate the steering wheel one turn (360 degrees) one way, and read the turning angle of the front wheels from the turntable scales. You will have to resolve the difference between the right and left due to Ackerman; most people read the inside wheel. If, for example, your reading is 36 degrees, dividing this into 360 gives you a quotient of 10, and thus a 10:1 overall steering ratio (if it is not possible to get a full turn out of the steering wheel, use three quarters of a turn and divide into 270).

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Cool!!! One of those things I have on my "eventually!" list. :D

So, I have to ask, how does one quicken a steering system???
Especially an OEM one. I've no clue.

I am also very cautious about the higher turn speed for everyday driving, though. Please let us know! For instance, I'm a Moderator at www.s2000online.com and when the JDM market came out with the S2000 Type-V, which is stock excepting a MUCH faster steering rack, a lot of people thought it was overkill.

Hopefully they will indeed be available forever.

-Chris

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
stock RS and Impreza L has this

Steering Ratio :)1), Overall 16.5
Steering Lock to Lock Turns 3.2

EDIT: is it the Rack or is it the pinion? Is not the rack the bar that the pinion gear moves? I'm thinking that it could be the pinion gear increase in size.

·
Registered
597 Posts
if the steering system in the impreza is mechanical like in the
diagram that might mean that at high speeds you shoudl be careful when you make steering inputs. it'll probably take some getting used to.

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have pics up by monday, it's an entire kit replacing a number of gears and such.. hard to explain but the pics will help :)

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question. Surprised no one asked it yet.. Wouldn't a smaller racing steering wheel have the same effect? Less turning..

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
I don't think so, no. Might actually be more turning, wouldn't it?
I'm trying to do the physics in my head but it's not workin.' :D

Not that it's really similar, but the line of thought is the same as taking a hacksaw to your shifter arm to make it shorter, and thinking that you've actually got shorter throws. You don't, the knob height is just lower so it "feels" that way...

Er, I think that made sense.
:run:

:D -S2-

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly, it doesn't actually make the number of turns less, but your arms don't have to travel as much.. I think.. :)

This rack is slightly quicker than the STi quick rack, (comparing to an STI version 3 rack, which I've never had a problem with) and while we will be advertising for competition use only (our little can't sue me disclaimer) It's fine for road use. Yes, it will be more sensitive but that's the idea.

I will say this though, get used to it before trying agressive manoeuvers that you are used to with the old rack.. Our machinist was so enamored with it, he was taking a really fast hard right turn in the rain and yanked it really quick and did a 180!

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Hmm, so is what you do similar to what makes the STi/Prodrive rack faster than OEM, as well? Do you use a similar process? What is it, just changing the pinion, or the number of teeth on the rack, or........?

·
Registered
796 Posts
This sounds like a great project and I am very interested in the final results.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
Looks awesome! Can you guys do a measure on the steering ratio? How many degrees per one full rotation (360 degrees) of the steering wheel?

Thanks!
FuJi

1 - 20 of 49 Posts