Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being naive, should I take out ALL of the wiring behind the dash and in the engine bay?

Gettin pretty far, dash beam is just out and im unplugging like crazy!

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
what are you doing?

swapping the car?
If so then yes you need to take all the wiring out.

Depending on what your swapping in, you can leave in the trunk harness, roof chord and door harnesses.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
well the fuel pump controller for the USDM Ej205 is on the trunk harness.

Not sure how people were wiring it in.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Pull all of the wiring out of the donor car except for the stuff in the doors. Don't throw any of it out until you are 100% finished and the car is running and driving. Only pull out the wiring from under the dash (and whatever else goes into the engine bay) from your RS.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pull all of the wiring out of the donor car except for the stuff in the doors. Don't throw any of it out until you are 100% finished and the car is running and driving. Only pull out the wiring from under the dash (and whatever else goes into the engine bay) from your RS.
does this include the alt wire and fuse box?

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
You need everything behind the dash save for the yellow airbag harness and engine harness. Don't need the fusebox, just the connector that goes into the fuse box. No need for the alt and starter harnesses either.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got the dash harness out, the heater box was confusing...

I got my 03 ecu in today as well.
Where can i find the plugs for the ecu? Dealer?

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
624 Posts
The WRX harness is basically one big harness, not a seperate bulkhead, front, back etc. like the RS's. You're going to be doing a lot of cutting with the wrx harness to get to just what you need.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0403scc_subaru_gbd_wrx_engine/photo_01.html
^Go through those pictures and read the captions, plus read the corrisponding story to it to get an overview on what needs to be done. Do NOT follow that article word for word because it is said to be inaccurate in some places. But again, its good for getting a little overview at what you should be doing.

I'm not trying to judge you anything, and I respect you for taking on a big project like this, but just from what I've heard it sounds like you need to do a little more research. Check out some of Brydon's threads, especially his sticky at the top of this forum. Also check out the "Good Wiring Help" sticky and read around :)

*edit* heres another good thread to follow along with:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65042&highlight=swap+2002wrx

I'm right in the middle of my swap. I'll be honest, I got all the wiring out, unwrapped and ready to start, when I realized I could do it... but it would take me probably until december to finish. Its a huge job! I ended up sending it out to GT (ECS is also a good shop for wiring)

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The WRX harness is basically one big harness, not a seperate bulkhead, front, back etc. like the RS's. You're going to be doing a lot of cutting with the wrx harness to get to just what you need.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0403scc_subaru_gbd_wrx_engine/photo_01.html
^Go through those pictures and read the captions, plus read the corrisponding story to it to get an overview on what needs to be done. Do NOT follow that article word for word because it is said to be inaccurate in some places. But again, its good for getting a little overview at what you should be doing.

I'm not trying to judge you anything, and I respect you for taking on a big project like this, but just from what I've heard it sounds like you need to do a little more research. Check out some of Brydon's threads, especially his sticky at the top of this forum. Also check out the "Good Wiring Help" sticky and read around :)
Thanks.
So much damn information, and i get a sketchy feeling about the little stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts