Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys take the cover off from under the scoop/vents for most of the year? I live in Chicago and it does rain and snow and all that good stuff, and the side vents are right over the battery/intake. For those of you that live in a similar climate.... did you notice any problems with leaving the vents open? I will close all vents for the winter, but the rest of the year I was thinking of leaving them open, just want to hear some other opinions..

Rafal

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,605 Posts
I bought mine in December and removed them in January (was in Indiana with a foot of snow)... I'll be leaving them off 100% of the time. It won't cause any problems. :)

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
I have all of my vents off most of the time. I put the one over the battery on during the winter because I live in Colorado and we get too much snow. I dont want snow sitting on the battery

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
756 Posts
God, this has been gone over in like 35 different threads. Your car will be fine. I left my old 98 RS outside with no hood on it at all for 3 weeks last summer (it rains everyday here) and didnt move it once, she still worked just fine.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! sorry to keep beating an old topic..... This is just a new car to me right now, and I want to make sure it runs good for me for a long time...

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS Coupe AW
315 Posts
Instead of removing mine completely, I just used 1/4" spacers to lower them. This has kept the water out and also let the hot air escape.

·
Registered
Public Transit
123 Posts
I find it retarded that on the driver-side, they have a little collector, and it collects water and drips on top of your battery terminals. all the wires in that area are corroded now

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
I have mine off year round and that's in Vermont and Upstate NY. My engine bay fills with snow sometimes, but it hasn't actually caused any problems (I was moslty worried about belts getting wet and slipping). As far as I can tell, there is no advantage at all to leaving the covers on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts