Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i've got the retaining bracket undone and the hose clamps off, but my scrawny ass can't pull the in and out fuel lines off. is there some trick to it or what? also, am i going to get a shot of gas in the eye when i do finally get them off?

thanx.

·
Registered
119 Posts
EZ Smezie

I just finished my last weekend. It's a pc of cake. ;)

1. Let the car sit overnight, this depressurizes the fuel system.
2. Remove clamps from hoses
3. Take pliers and lightly twist hoses to loosen
4. Wrap rag around hose and pull off
5. Undo holding clamp
6. Remove rubber sleeve & hose holder from old filter and place on new filter
7. Clamp down new filter, attach hoses and clamp em down.

Viola! Fuel filter process complete :D

Hope this helps.

Brandee

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
1. Let the car sit overnight, this depressurizes the fuel system.
You could also just take the gas cap off-that's what I do.
3. Take pliers and lightly twist hoses to loosen
This usually doesn't work very well for me unless I spray the connection with WD40 first. I have ripped the hose by trying to get them off with just pliers! :curse: It seems like the inlet/outlet and the hoses bond together! The rest of the directions sound good to me! Of course, you've probably already figured it out by now.
:D

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, it seems mine was just on really tight. luckily, STiShawn came by and between the two of us (him pulling on the filter and me twisting the hose with cloth-wrapped pliers) we got it off. the gas leak was much less then i expected.

also, much thanks to Peaty and Scoobymods for showing me which of the many bolts on the bottom of the tranny was the drain plug (the only bolt on a subie not torqued down rediculously tight :) )

·
Registered
1997 V2 GF4
335 Posts
just for future reference for anyone who does this...taking the gas cap off will not depressurize the fuel system

on the RS

interior fuse panal fuse number 11 is the fuel pump fuse, remove the fuse, crank the engine over a few times...

and thats all folks, fuel system is now safe to open :)

H

·
0 Posts
I always thought it was silly that people said undo the gas cap to depressurize the system. Silly because the pressure is between the pump and the injectors, with the pump being in the tank. In my truck it might work due to the mechanical fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I don't remember when or where, but that's how I was taught to do it:mad: ! In my defense, I've never "depressurized" the system for anything other than changing the fuel filter.:p But I will keep that in mind for the next time. I still like my way, 'cause it makes that cool hissing sound!:D

·
Registered
1997 V2 GF4
335 Posts
i never depresurize any fuel systems when I change fuel filters...and I change'em alot...:p

however I did have one explode all over the engine bay on a WRX, when I worked for subaru...but on other scoobies I never had a problem, just that one rex...so if I do them on subarus I will depressurize it, better safe then sorry ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts