Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ive been saving for a while now and now that Ive got the cash I cant seem to make up my mind about which brand/setup I want to go with! Im here to ask opinions on what people are using and what they would use if they had the cash. Ive decided to go with suspension and brakes first and eventually Ill get a forced induction kit but that is 6 months to year away. Basically I just need some help narrowing it down a bit, and since alot of you have experiences, good and bad, with alot of these products/ setups Id like to hear what you all have to say. This car will be my daily driver but I do intend on SCCA autocross events.

Coil overs? Just springs....ProDrive maybe? Just upgrade to WRX struts? It seems alot of Subbies like the KYBs...maybe them.

Same goes for a strut tower...STi? Cobb? any multitude of no name, non-custom, fit any car type strut bars? It seems like most are the same besides possibly fit and strength.

Exhaust. Cobb-Stromung-WRX. etc Again im suffering from too many products to chose from.

Exhaust manifold (header) Ive really heard good things about the Borla and I was wondering if anyone has heard about other good ones that are on the market.

Brakes. Is an upgrade to wrx rotors and calipers easier/cheaper/more convieneint than going with an aftermarket company such as brembo? Are they truely bolt on?

Ok think Im done asking questions for today. Thanks in advance for any input.

Ziggy

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Coil overs? Just springs....ProDrive maybe? Just upgrade to WRX struts? It seems alot of Subbies like the KYBs...maybe them.
as with so many things, its all about money. there aren't alot of springs i'd use with the stock struts (the WRX struts are basically the same). KYB are good and cheap, but you can't lower the car much with them on. the STi set up is nice, as is the Prodrive WR. DMS 50s are better, but $2500.

Same goes for a strut tower...STi? Cobb? any multitude of no name, non-custom, fit any car type strut bars? It seems like most are the same besides possibly fit and strength.
strut bars don't do much. make sure you get one that will clear an intercooler since you plan on going turbo. don't spend the money on a STi. OMP makes a nice one.

Exhaust. Cobb-Stromung-WRX. etc Again im suffering from too many products to chose from.
the stromung is nice but loud. it kind of depends on what you want. you're probably going to have to replace it when you go turbo though.

Exhaust manifold (header) Ive really heard good things about the Borla and I was wondering if anyone has heard about other good ones that are on the market.
the borla is very good, just make sure to get the gen. 4 as the earlier versions have a very frequent tendencey to crack. once again, very loud mod.

Brakes. Is an upgrade to wrx rotors and calipers easier/cheaper/more convieneint than going with an aftermarket company such as brembo? Are they truely bolt on?
yep, but from my experience, the stock system is very, very good. i'd recommend just upgrading the pads and put the rest of the money into the suspension.

·
Registered
99 Impreza 2.5RS Black
613 Posts
I'll basically second what 10th Warrior said... When you consider upgrades to your exhaust system, keep in mind what you are looking to spend, and that the goals change with FI.

As for brakes, the stock system's biggest weakness is its mushy pedal feel. That can be overcome with ss lines, and ultimately with a Single Stage booster, which I can say from experience can be a frustrating install :) However, it is very easy to get the WRX caliper brackets and WRX rotors to upgrade. Going with used parts will save you money and those are essentially bolt ons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts