Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WRX in progress
00 RSTi 2.5 Hybrid Built
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 97 L and have been planning a swap. Which will happen with in the next year. I am slowly gathering parts. So far I have V5 JDM WRX full drive-train and plan on grabbing some 4 pot brakes. I have ran across a 03 WRX Long Block... well here this is what he says:

2003 Subaru wrx longblock. unkown mileage. has rod knock. good heads, good compression. clean. Good for rebuild or for parts. No intake, exhuast or accessories. Ran strong except for rod clatter at 2K rpm..

negotiable...

...My question is should I snatch this up rebuild it and then buy the harness and ECU, Turbo, and other items needed that I don't know of yet .. or should I just buy a full motor swap from some where. I am getting this for like $300. I don't have a huge budget right now thats why I would like to take my time picking everything up. Also I and friends will be doing all the mechanical work and would send harness' to ECS to be merged.

-Khurram

·
WRX in progress
00 RSTi 2.5 Hybrid Built
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pics of the motor:

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
You still have a lot to collect...

Its going to put you up there if you can find all of the parts + you'll have to fix the whole knocking problem It'll cost you a decent amount more but I'd go for the full motor swap.

Missing parts will often send you on a wild goose chase costing you time and money.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
its a bad rod bearing for sure, just do a full swap.
BUT, ive found that buying parts peice by piece is cheaper.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
its a bad rod bearing for sure, just do a full swap.
BUT, ive found that buying parts peice by piece is cheaper.
I've found the opposite, actually. If I bought my swap parts piece by piece, I would be into this for more than 2x what I have spent so far.

I would pass on the longblock, it'll be hard to get those little pieces and misc. sensors.

·
WRX in progress
00 RSTi 2.5 Hybrid Built
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright guys good to know, I'll pass on the block.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts