Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
MY99 OBS
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys! I have a few questions about getting bar'd. I've been working on this swap for awhile now and still want to get it bar'd, but there are a few complications I would like to hear what you guys think about it and suggestions from you guys.

Car is a 99 obs with a full 03 wrx swap with full harness swapped over(no cutting/merging but if i redid this swap I should have went Iwire :lol: less headaches and WAY cleaner), motor, tranny, diff, gas tank, sub frames, anything that would bolt up basically. It is currently running and has full OEM plumbing. The only thing that concerns me is white smoke coming from what seems like the uppipe/turbo area. I highly doubt it is the turbo leaking coolant so I think most likely it's the headgaskets leaking into the headers/uppipe area. Reason I think it's the headgaskets is the car has been sitting for about 3 years with prestone coolant and I am thinking it rusted the inside. Inside the stock header coolant tank that sits on the IM was rusted up pretty badly. Also the banjo bolts running into the turbo were rusted badly. Engine was fine when i 1st got it, no white smoke or anything, only had about 87,000 miles on it. I will be doing a compression test on each cylinder soon which should let me know whats going on. no CELs, idles fine and it is not a huge amount of smoke yet. Barely noticeable amount of smoke. I am leaning towards testing my luck and going to get bar'd as is. Other option, swap out to ej207 since my car is basically a bugeye.

My questions are :

1) how long do they run the car when getting bar'd and smogged at the state ref?

2) do you guys think it could pass with the small amount of white smoke coming up from turbo uppipe are, worth trying?

3) After getting it bar'd (hopefully), go with a ej207(v7 or v8? and do maintenance) or have a shop tear my ej205 apart and see how much it would cost to rebuild?

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,588 Posts
if you have a running 205 in there that's all stock bar it first with that. its a sure thing(the ej207 should pass, but its possible they will make you change stuff).

When I bar'd my swap I think the car idled for maybe 20-30 mins or so. The guy let it fully warm up, poked around under the hood, checked the OBDII data via a scanner then went and did the two step idle smog test.

I would try to see if you can find your leak before taking it in. If it is indeed the HG and you plan on yanking it out soon throw some Subaru coolant conditioner in there(its the same product as Holtz Rad weld stop leak). Maybe that will slow it down long enough to get your sticker :)

I'm in process of swapping shells so I will have to go to the bar again :facepalm:

·
Registered
MY99 OBS
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks 181stleader! I hope that stop leak works. That sucks, I don't think I want to go through tearing down a whole car and putting it back together again :lol:. Tearing down 2 subaru's was enough :lol:, got my fill. Gotta love California and it's smog regulations! thanks again for the pointers. for now i will put the condition and see if it helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts