Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a 2.5i 2005 impreza. i was woundering what the best cams for me would be. i want something that will give me a decent proformance increase but not really hurt my engine or cause mpgs to drop majorly. i also dont want to have to get a tune... is this something i have to do or is there a way to get around it. i eventually want to get full header to muffler exhaust. from then im not really sure what else i want to get done.

thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
FX45, 2008
1,274 Posts
Search "Delta Cams" or Just "Cams" and check out who has em, maybe email somebody on the board. I have read alot of good things on the Delta cams alot of members have, so you may wana throw an email that-a-way, and ask them personally. Oh yeah, and change your title to "question on cams" cause you didnt really ask anything about headers :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some Cam questions

hey i have been doin some research on here and was originally thinking about getting delta cams but after looking around it seems that might not be to good of an idea.

im also not sure about the regrind. i dont understand why it doesnt keep the valve from opening all the way. if you shave off part of the lobe it would not be as tall and therefore cant open the valve as far. yes it may be open longer but not all the way.

i was also thinking about looking into the cobb cams what do you guys think or them? are there any other good brands to look into.

when getting new cams what would be the best new rocker arms to install. would i need to install new rocker arms with a new cam. i know in a flat engine like ours we dont need lifters. but dont the two surfaces still end up mating just the same.

if im getting as deep into the engine as i would be with new cams i might as well do a new headgasket. and with the mileage i have i also might as well go and do a timing belt.

i am worried about throwing a CELL. i know form what ive read that you just need to bump up the idle. if i only do it alittle then i know i wont set off any alerts at the emissions place. is there a way to bump up the idle a little with out using a piggy back system. is there anyway to just change it cheaply with out going for a full tune. or do i have to get a tune when i get cams. should i just wait to install cams untill after i have headers highflow cat and an new muffler and mid pipe? and then get a tune for all of it or does it really matter much?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
its too late for me to really think lol. so ill answer one of your questions. yes it would make sence to change your belts and head gaskets. while your at it depnding on your mileage, you may want to get the heads resurfaced too. its better to be safe then sorry plus you have the option of getting some head work done as well.

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
i just got my delta cams in the mail. i got the 2000 grind

they weld on metal then shave/grind it down

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
When they do a mild upgrade, they don't grind off the top of the lobe....they grind down the base circle, effectively making the lobe taller. You would have to readjust the clearances by the amount taken off.....

A hotter cam would have hardface weld material added to the lobes and then reground back to the desired profile. Done correctly (as Delta is perfectly capable of) it is almost the same as starting from a completely new blank cam shaft.

The issues we read most about with hotter cams is idle quality. That is an ECU issue....not a cam issue.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
I would make the cams the last step in your process and then do your tune and bump your idle. You will be amazed at how hard your motor will pull. I run door handle to door handle with the OEM WRX's on our meets and drives, dead equal! :sunny:

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
my bro has cobb cams and a full borla exhaust. runs great, and sounds badass!

i realize this isn't a technical answer, but the car runs great and definitely has a lot more punch than a stock RS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the links to the threads guys. i had already read them though and just had a few more qustions/ more specific questions that i was asking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would make the cams the last step in your process and then do your tune and bump your idle. You will be amazed at how hard your motor will pull. I run door handle to door handle with the OEM WRX's on our meets and drives, dead equal! :sunny:
Really ... what would your buttdyno yield your whp you think?

and what are your mods ... i would be 100% satisfied if i could keep up wit wrx stock

1 - 15 of 15 Posts