Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had the Scooby over 2 years now, and I'm ready to start thinking forced induction. Before I make a decision, I need to be square on every option. I'm familiar with the various turbo kits available and have kept close tabs on Templar's progress with his supercharger. What I need info on now is a do-it-yourself job. Can anyone give me a parts list for a DIY turbo kit? A price range for each part would be helpful as well.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, I did my own custom turbo setup on my RS. I went the Legacy route, which consists of using various turbo parts from a 1992-1994 Legacy Turbo Sedan. Also, many of these same parts can be found on the WRX.

A good place to start if your looking to do a custom turbo setup is www.nothingserious.net. This is stimpy's homepage, and it gives a good outline of what needs to be done for a Legacy setup on an RS. You'll find a comprehensive parts page and where to buy them from.

My personal opinion is this: custom is the ONLY way to go. First off, no one else will have the exact same setup as you. And second, you know EVERY little detail about your car because YOU did it yourself, not some company out of a garage.

To give you a run down, my car was down for three weeks during for the install, I had the car towed on two different occasions, one being back from the shop where I had access to a lift (this could be optional). This was my first dealing with ANY kind of turbo system, so it took me a while, but I got the job done and my car is awesome! Lots of little problems you will run into take more time than expected, on top of many many trips to the hardware store.

Parts List:

Legacy RHB5 turbo (oil and water cooler) VF-10
WRX turbo-back exhaust (Stromung muffler)
Legacy Turbo uppipe, exhaust manifold.
Legacy turbo crossmember, and waterpump.
WRX front swaybar.
RalliSpec TMIC.
GReddy BOV.
Vortech RRFPR.
J&S Safeguard and Apex S-ITC.
ACT Street Clutch.
GReddy 52mm Boost, EGT, Fuel Press.
Custom intake and charge piping.

Like I said, lots of stuff can be adapted from other turbo Subaru's. If you do decide this route, it will lots of fun, and a huge learning experience. Please ask lots of questions if you have any, I get excited when someone wants to do a custom setup, there's not many of us around......;)

Here's a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Graham, you asked for it. At the moment I am leaning towards a custom kit. It suits my do-it-yourself nature, and since I don't plan on installing a turbo until next summer, it will allow me to purchase the requisite parts over time instead of dropping several grand at once. I appreciate the assistance and you can rest assured, I will keep you busy when I start buying!

Couple of questions regarding your setup: what psi do you run and at what rpm is the turbo fully spooled?

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well Steve, due to the size of the Legacy VF-10 turbo, full spool comes on right around 2100-2200 RPM. This is quite a bit earlier than most of the RS's with T3-T4's running around. They don't see full boost until just under 3000, maybe a bit higher for some.

Right now I run the stock internal wastegate which came on the turbo, and it produces just under 5 psi. In 1st-3rd gear I see about 3.7 psi, and 4th and 5th reside in the 4.5 psi mark. This makes the car about 3 car-lengths faster than a stock WRX to 60 MPH, which is pretty damn good if you ask me. Also, this is with lots of timing retard to keep my engine intact, though I have never detonated or pinged.

Overall, it is an extremely reliable setup due to the fact that you are using nearly all factory Subaru parts, which are built to last. The boost, if you want, can be run up to right under 8 psi, then the turbo starts to run out of its efficiency range, though this is due to its small size. If you autocross a lot or need a quick spool, this is the turbo to use. Boost is there when you want and need it.

FYI, a guy with the same setup made 175 HP and 190 lb. ft. at the wheels @ 5 psi. Thats quite good and the numbers will only go up with an aftermarket programmable ECU, which i'll be purchasing soon.

Graham

1 - 6 of 6 Posts