Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a stromung catback, and now I have a exhaust leak where the cat and the catback meets.

The flanges are met at an angle, it looks like this:

I didn't get a donut gasket when I did the install, I'm guessing that's my problem.

Question: If I get the donut gasket installed, would it fix the leak? Even though the flanges don't mate up perfectly? Do I need to get some RTV sealant too?

And does anybody know if a 02 outback uses the same donut gasket as a 02 Impreza?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
My guess is that the donut from any N/A Impreza or Legacy will work, maybe the turbo cars too but all you need to do is call your local dealer. And yes, that's why it's like that. It's really best to use the donut, as well as the spring bolts, where they're all supposed to go.

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I put in a donut gasket, I shouldn't have leaks anymore? No need for RTV?

Which donut gasket should I get? N/A or WRX one? And does it matter where I get the donut gasket? Would it all be pretty much the same quality? i.e. from an auto store.

It's a stat holiday up north, so the dealer is closed. Thanks for the quick help :)

·
Registered
Audi 4.2, 911 Turbo
163 Posts
So if I put in a donut gasket, I shouldn't have leaks anymore? No need for RTV?

Which donut gasket should I get? N/A or WRX one? And does it matter where I get the donut gasket? Would it all be pretty much the same quality? i.e. from an auto store.

It's a stat holiday up north, so the dealer is closed. Thanks for the quick help :)

Get it from the dealer. Autozone ones are plastic and crap. Also, it might be a good idea to get new bolts and springs if you haven't already.

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to Part Source to get the donut gasket, and Home Depot to get a bolt and washer, and re-use the spring (I striped one).

So should I get a donut gasket for RS or WRX? And has anybody heard of using spacers (flat gaskets) before the donut gasket, so that the donut gasket will make good contact with the midpipe?

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Just get the OEM donut gasket for your car. Should be good to go after that.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Yeah if it's a holiday where you are, then it can wait until tomorrow, I'm guessing. Use the OEM spring bolts, too; if you don't have them, or if yours are shot, tell the dealer you need them.

I don't know if the parts are all the same; I'd guess that N/A cars will be the same, since pipe diameter is pretty much equal across the board, but that's just a wild guess.

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good, I'll get the OEM donut gasket and spring bolts from the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick help guys:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts