Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99rs and my MAF is teh fail as usual. anyway... i was wondering if people just deal with it? or is there a MAF to MAP conversion kit? MAF deleter kit? or is the only way to get rid of it by engine and ECU swap or standalone? Im gonna get rid of my car if this sensor keeps going to shit.

your thoughts and comments are appreciated! thanks :bonk:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well... car has poor idling. engine starts then chokes out and dies now. check engine light code is for MAF sensor. anyway... its been a pain in the ass and i dont want to have to go through shit again. i just got a new MAF... but now the plug on the MAF harness burnt it self out leaving not enough wire to splice into...

cant find anybody selling a pigtail MAF harness anywhere so im about to buy a whole new engine harness... one problem leads to another with this car and its driving me insane.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
Wow that sucks^ I heard about a recall on ecu's in 99, maybe a possible cause of yer probs? I was gonna suggest your problem was something else but if your getting a MAF cel then I guess thats it, I have heard of MAF eating subie's. A whole new harness seems a bit extreme, how bout getting a plug from a part out car and wire it up. I too have a 99RS and replaced the maf once (@ 140,000mi) since buying it new in 99. Now my car idles like its missing a cylinder and didn't pass smog. My Air Fuel meter was pegged on "RICH" so I pulled the plugs and noticed some oil has leaked past the plug gaskets on the valve covers and the plugs were dark brown. I replaced the plugs with some I had layin around which were still in pretty good condition. My AF ratios leaned out to "normal" but the lopy idle is still there??? I'm gonna try a new o2 but it seems like something else is worng?
Or if you cant find a used plug then you can just get individual clips for each wire and insert them onto the correct prong in the maf housing.

·
Premium Member
1995 Impreza LX, 2000 LGT wags
530 Posts
hmm, this doesn't sound fun. do you have an intake cone or stock box? I have heard some people get oil on their MAF sensors and it just needs to be cleaned off.. hope i don't have a MAF eater..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe... i've done alot since ive had this problem... and it seems when i replace something it doesnt help. Ive replaced the knock sensor, the maf sensor, the maf sensor housing, air filter, oil change and filter, plugs, fuel system cleaning... and car still doesnt run... i used to love my car and now im hating it. X( well i might get individual clips but I want a real plug... we will see... maybe this wont even fix the problem...

·
Premium Member
1995 Impreza LX, 2000 LGT wags
530 Posts
damn, i dunnu.. that would be cool if it was as simple as cleaning the MAF or a leak around the "torque" box, since I opened that once while the car was running and it didn't like that... but it sounds more complicated

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs-t
890 Posts
um. I heard so much bad stuff about the maf's when I bought my car. the previous owner said the car ate them so much he kept one in the glovebox at all times. I've owned the car for three years, been turbo'd for two, and never had to replace the maf, ever. the solution? don't get rid of your stock airbox. go with a k&n or fram airhog filter instead. the problem is, the maf on our cars is so sensitive that if its not bolted down (like the factory box) the little tiny strips of metal will break. that's why you have to be very carefull when you clean it too. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
I wrecked one with too much oil after oiling my filter. The car died 10 seconds into my first auto-x run of the day a couple years back up in NH at NHIS.

The other time I sucked water in and hydrolocked the motor as well.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs-t
890 Posts
The other time I sucked water in and hydrolocked the motor as well.
I must have a freak of nature maf then. a couple years ago before I was turbo there was a drain that backed up after a really bad storm. it looked shallow but it wasn't. to make a long story short the next day I was literally pouring water out of both intake boxes and the exhaust looked like I put a smoke bomb in the muffler. I changed the oil, filter, and plugs and have been daily driving it (boosted) ever since.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
I must have a freak of nature maf then. a couple years ago before I was turbo there was a drain that backed up after a really bad storm. it looked shallow but it wasn't. to make a long story short the next day I was literally pouring water out of both intake boxes and the exhaust looked like I put a smoke bomb in the muffler. I changed the oil, filter, and plugs and have been daily driving it (boosted) ever since.
I'm prayin for rain then lol ^ thats crazy. I have always used my stock air box with K&N replacement. Yes over oiling can be bad but too much movement/vibration is bad for em too, which is what can happen with an aftermarket setup. I had my car turbo'd for a short time in which it ran like a champ, now turned it back to stock for smog and it runs like poo.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I never had any MAF problems with my 99 and I seriously beat the crap out of it daily and as a track car. Stick with the stock intake (aftermarket will kill it for sure) and if you have a California car check and remove the 2nd airfilter out of the upper box. Yes, I said second airfilter as for some reason some 99 RS had them. You can order the gasket replacement from the dealer.

·
Registered
98 Red L 2.2L 5spd
343 Posts
omg im having this exact problem too. i got the CEL on and it does the exact same thing. i need the solution too. my clip is messed like yours. it was solved by soldering them together and it was cool for about a day then its back. i would love a solution for this as well

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol.... well i do have a weapon r intake... might buy a stock one when i get the new harness. hopefully this eliminates my problem... i wish i had alot of money then id buy a WRX or STI engine and ecu... then i wouldnt have to use gay MAF. oh well...

·
Registered
1999 RS RBP Coupe
399 Posts
It's just plastic, I'm sure you can get a used one that works just as well.
Try posting a WTB ad in the classifieds.

+1 for leaving the stock intake on with a MAF, I've never had any problems with mine.

I do have a K&N filter that is a nice replacement over the stock filter.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
I had a maf eater, went through 3 reman ones since a few months ago, subaru warrentied the 1st, after that it was $60 a pop. It blew up last week so at least im saving myself 60 bucks, lol. But as a subie tech, we were supposed to clean and test the maf, if it worked, you got your car back, if not, you got a reman MAF that would fail again. It has something to do with the oil residue buildup on the sensor. There was a recall and a TSB IIRC...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts