Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001,Subaru,2.5rs-t,Blue Ridge
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well we just installed my new JDM V2 gearbox in the RS, everything seems ok but we noticed the shifter lever just flops over to the left when in neutral, unlike when you move the lever to the right, there is resistance like normal.

So there is zero resistance when moving the knob left before going up into 1st or down into 2nd.

We tracked the possible problem to a little spring mechanism the is inside the rear section of the gearbox. There is even a small circular "door" with two bolts that seem to give you access to this spring. We tore down the old RS tranny to check it out, and it seems that it would be fairly simple to swap if the V2 trannies with the usdm RS's.

Does anyone know if they will swap over?

Also, will it harm anything since this is not working properly?

·
500whp club
00RSti
3,726 Posts
It shouldn’t harm anything, other than your shifter is sloppy.

and the springs should swap over, most of the components in the US/JDM trannys are swappable. the spring isn’t a common swap so I’m not 100% but I would think if you can swap gears/bearings/shifters/synchros that the springs would be good to go.

·
Registered
1995 S14 w/S14 SR
1,323 Posts
I lost mine for a few days when I did my shifter bushings, I drive it for a bit and it didn't do anything. All it does is hold the shifter in center... thats it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys, thanks a lot for the quick responses. I guess it doesn't bother me too much as long as it wont harm anything. Looks like I'll just have to get under there one day and see if they'll swap over, but if anyone knows for sure, I'd still like to know beforehand.

·
Registered
98 RS Now with more interior!
20,049 Posts
Just get the spring from a 98 or earlier US tranny, its the same shit. All it does it hold it centered.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keener, thanks man thats what I needed to know.

Does anyone know the technical name or part number(s) for this part? I've been looking on subaruparts.com but they don't show diagrams so I have no idea what I would need to purchase. If I go through the trouble of fixing it, I'd be better off just putting a brand new one in. My RS' seemed to be getting a little worn and weak IIRC.

·
Registered
type ra swapped gc8
210 Posts
2.5Sc00byGirL said:
Did you just install a new tranny also or did your stocker just go out on you?
give me ur #, then come visit me in SC. then, i will tell you :p.

actually, when i had my old tranny, i pretended-rally and i think it fell off. now i have my type-ra swap and i still havnt found the time get under there and replace it... easy fix though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts