Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question about exhaust locations??

ok heres my situation. i have a MY00 rs sedan. i recently put an wrx EJ20 motor in with all the stock parts it came with. i want to put an aftermarket exhaust system on. will i have to buy an exhaust system specifically for the wrx motor or can i just bolt on a GC8 exhaust system to the wrx motor? give any info, bad or good, Thankyou.

Alex

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Just wanna say "WAAASSSAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!" I'm from Fresno, CA, too. I just moved to Minnesota 2 years ago. Good job on your swap.

I still have the EJ25 in my car, so I don't know for sure what the different types of exhaust systems you can get for your car. You should have the WRX's uppipe and downpipe. From what I remember, Import Tuner gained 22 whp for just swapping the stock uppipe/downpipe with the XS engineering ones on a WRX. So other than that, I don't know if the WRX's exhaust will fit onto the RS' hangers.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i don't know for sure, but i would tend to doubt it. the exhaust manifold on the WRX is obviously completely different and unless it happens to terminate in the exact same place as the RS, you're SOL. a WRX exhaust also probably won't work because the chassis are different which means the exhaust will route differently and the hangers are probably in different places. now what you could do is get an exhaust for a GC8 WRX. that should fit. i have the OMP Group N exhaust ( Primm Racing ). i had to have the midpipe flange that bolts onto the cat rotated to fit my car since i am sans turbo. you shouldn't have this problem i imagine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
10th Warrior said:
i don't know for sure, but i would tend to doubt it. the exhaust manifold on the WRX is obviously completely different and unless it happens to terminate in the exact same place as the RS, you're SOL. a WRX exhaust also probably won't work because the chassis are different which means the exhaust will route differently and the hangers are probably in different places. now what you could do is get an exhaust for a GC8 WRX. that should fit. i have the OMP Group N exhaust ( Primm Racing ). i had to have the midpipe flange that bolts onto the cat rotated to fit my car since i am sans turbo. you shouldn't have this problem i imagine.
Thanks for the info, 10th Warrior.

Alex

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I not 100% sure but you would probably be better off going with a WRX aftermarket exhaust and rewelding the hangers on the mid pipe and back box. Also any muffler shop could legthen or shorten the mid pipefor a more exactig fit. I'm sure Adamsrs on NASIOC would be more helpful to you though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Billy Baru said:
I not 100% sure but you would probably be better off going with a WRX aftermarket exhaust and rewelding the hangers on the mid pipe and back box. Also any muffler shop could legthen or shorten the mid pipefor a more exactig fit. I'm sure Adamsrs on NASIOC would be more helpful to you though.

THANKS FOR THE INFO.

Alex

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
i'm not sure either and if i'm wrong someone please correct me. I think it just bolt right in if you buy gc8 wrx parts? if our RS's have the same chassis and everything as the GC8 WRX's and the only difference is the engine besides suspension and stuff shouldn't just dropping in a ej20 make our RS's a WRX then? Or are there any more difference between the two that i don't know of yet?

·
Registered
MY00 RS/STi
955 Posts
The US WRX exhaust flanges are at a different angle than the GC exhausts on the L's and RS's. But if you get a turboback it doesnt matter because they all bolt on to the turbo. Of course then you just won't be able to use any GC exhaust bits without rotating the flange to WRX spec. The hanger on the muffler closest to the midpipe also has to be moved to the opposite side.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
f1kichigai05 said:
Is the RS chassis different from the WRX's?
its the same as the old body style WRX's sold in various cool parts of the world (the true GC8). the US-spec WRX only came here in the new, bug-eyed body style, which is obviously a different chassis. but of course, there are RS's in the new chassis as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts