Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Coupe Aspen, 98 Coupe BMP
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says, I'm wondering how much you guys have paid to have your quarter panels repaired for rust?

I have significant rust on my 99 coupe which will have to be cut and replaced with new metal. So I'm trying to determine if its worth repairing and then building the car or if I should just start with a better chassis. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The rust seems to have started on the inside and worked its way out.

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
POst a pic of how bad the rust is

I work for a restoration DIY company and carry loads of products that may help you out.

With mine, I can't puncture through it, all you do is sand the rust away to the metal, clean it up with some of our rust products, apply body filler, boom done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
POst a pic of how bad the rust is

I work for a restoration DIY company and carry loads of products that may help you out.

With mine, I can't puncture through it, all you do is sand the rust away to the metal, clean it up with some of our rust products, apply body filler, boom done.
I can upload some pics later today. The rust is all the way through (at least on one side) and goes at least two thirds of the way around the wheel well. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
The metal on the backside is likely worse then what you can see so new metal is needed. We do a lot of rust at our shop(eastern canada haha) and a job like that would probably be in the $1000-1500 range, but I don't do the estimates so cant say for sure.

Is the car clean besides that? Those quarter panels aren't really all that bad so the car is probably worth continuing with.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Rust always comes back and to be totally honest, the rest of the car looks very dirty and a bit beat. I'm not sure I'd spend the money on the rust repair for this one. If it's still a good car, drive it!

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Mine was close to that on the pass side, local body work place did it for $250, cut the metal out and painted. That was also cash....

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
957 Posts
My rust is consistently bad from the rear quarters all the way up the driver side rocker panels. I do recommend something DIY... but unless you completely get rid of the rust itself (from the source), it will keep coming back. I've completely cut out my rocker panels and threw new ones on there, as for the quarter panels... well, my dad did some weird indian home remedy stuff that's been holding pretty well, just need to sand it out.

...I think he knows some crazy voodoo magic stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated.

As UrbKlr said the rust is MUCH worse on the backsides. The rest of the car is not so great either. Unfortunately this car spent many winters in Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Ct. without being garaged. So I'm guessing that the rear bumper beam and support are in the same condition, and its also got some rust around the windshield.

Now that I have a garage and the means to properly take of it, I think Ill probably be looking for a clean chassis to start with. I figure I could spend a couple grand getting all of that taken care of or just get a good chassis for around 5k and save a lot of time and work.

Thanks

·
un-Banned by RS25.com
2000 SRP 2.5RS Coupe
2,164 Posts
I have similar rust. i was wondering if I should fix it before all the nasty snow and salt comes or wait until after?

Mine goes all the way through on the driver side.

·
Registered
2000 Imprezza RS 2.5 BLUE
11 Posts
Okay I just got my rear quarter panel fixed for cheap!

I took it to a auto body I knew they cut the rust off of my 2000 RS Impreza. similar to yours. He went all the way from the top to the bottom the bottom where it meets the side skirt.

He welded metal plate in shape. This cost me 160 for both sides.

Now if you are a DIU person and can handle bondo I now will spray paint the metal with primer (about 4-5 coats) so it doesn't rust in the future. Then I will add Bondo ontop of it. on the edge of the weld so that the car's body and the weld are flat and even. (this is pretty simple after you watch a few youtube videos) will take 1-2 hours depending how hot it is outside (hotter the better bondo dries quicker). This process will take a few coats of Bondo. 2-3 (sanding each coat down). Once the bondo is on I then add another coat of prime maybe even two.

Finally I buy a coded color paint can and add it to match the rest of my car. work won't come out perfect like a 1000 dollar job (that in my opinion is a waste for a car that cost 2000-3000. but it will look good enough and if you take your time from 5-10 feet away you won't even notice it. if at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Okay I just got my rear quarter panel fixed for cheap!

I took it to a auto body I knew they cut the rust off of my 2000 RS Impreza. similar to yours. He went all the way from the top to the bottom the bottom where it meets the side skirt.

He welded metal plate in shape. This cost me 160 for both sides.

Now if you are a DIU person and can handle bondo I now will spray paint the metal with primer (about 4-5 coats) so it doesn't rust in the future. Then I will add Bondo ontop of it. on the edge of the weld so that the car's body and the weld are flat and even. (this is pretty simple after you watch a few youtube videos) will take 1-2 hours depending how hot it is outside (hotter the better bondo dries quicker). This process will take a few coats of Bondo. 2-3 (sanding each coat down). Once the bondo is on I then add another coat of prime maybe even two.

Finally I buy a coded color paint can and add it to match the rest of my car. work won't come out perfect like a 1000 dollar job (that in my opinion is a waste for a car that cost 2000-3000. but it will look good enough and if you take your time from 5-10 feet away you won't even notice it. if at all.
You should not be using any primer before filler unless its epoxy. Generally you would clean up the welds and surrounding area with 36-50 grit then apply a fiberglass filler(directly over bare metal) since it is water resistant and stronger. Sand close to flat, then apply your bodyfiller/polyester filler and sand to 180-220. Apply an etching primer to bare metal if your primer isnt direct-to-metal. Then apply your primer/surfacer. One part(aerosol) products should be avoided.. but can get the job done on a budget.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
I'm going to keep driving my car and let it rust. Possibly pull engine and dump it into something else.

When it gets warmer, I may play with the rust and do some bondo, just for learning purposes. The chassis just isn't worth keeping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts