Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
not bad i guess, it sits right underneath the vent. gotta test it out during a rain storm though.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
okay, motor and harness out of the wrx now.
seriously lagging on this project.......... :unamused:

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
rear u-joint on the drive shaft broke at 70mph, well, in the words of jay z, "that shit cray". hoping the wrx 5spd drive shaft is a direct fit. :noes:

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
well fuck... mechanic gave me the run around for 5 days, spent a total of 10 hours driving back and forth. the second day i show up at the shop he tells me my 02 wrx drive shaft doesn't work. he finds a drive shaft for me but they want $200 plus shipping. decided to go find another 5spd drive shaft but no luck so i settled with a 00 impreza auto drive shaft. reason why? the rear half of the drive shaft is the same as the 5spd shaft. bring it back to the shop, tells me hes not going to take the shaft apart and put it back together because he can't torque it back to spec and it won't be safe. great spent $50 bucks on a useless shaft. lucky me a subaru owner offered me help a few days ago and i call him to come to the shop and tell the mechanic that the 02 wrx drive shaft will work, but he disagrees with us saying that the system says they're not the same part number. well fuck him, decided to take my car and go but he charges me $45 for pushing my car into the shop and having it on the lift? the fuck...

long story short, i limp my car over to the guy's ,who is helping me out, house and we swap the 02 wrx drive shaft in. only thing that was needed was longer bolts for the center carrier mounts because the 02 wrx drive shaft had bushings and the 00 impreza drive shaft doesn't.

5 days a BS from a mechanic, last time i ever take my car to a mechanic....

i probably could of avoided this from day one when he called my car a toyota impreza..... :unamused:

/end rant

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
didn't have much choice since i was 2hrs from home. thank god there was a local subaru owner that helped me out though!!! limped it to his house, threw the 02 wrx drive shaft in, drove back home flawlessly!

so much wasted hours and money (gas) lol.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Damn where is that?
silver lake, right off of i43.

google map search this "Silver Lake College, South Alverno Road, Manitowoc, WI", the lake is right next to the college.

i hear people are driving across lake winnebago, i gotta do that the next time i go to oshkosh.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
damn, feels good to have a nice quiet car again. 02 wrx cat-back all the way back, including a nifty adapter.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Brake upgrade.

Since my rear wheel bearing(s) are going, decided to use that as an excuse to upgrade my brakes.

Spent 12 hours yesterday working on it, mostly on the rear driver side. Major setbacks were the brake hard-lines, abs sensor, and the big ass bolt. Had to re-flare the hard-line, major PITA. Cut the abs sensor line, fucker is rusted in pretty good, snapped my flat-head trying to get it out LOL.

Plans for today.

Pray that the flare nut doesn't snap the hard-line (rear passenger).
ABS sensor slides out!
Finish putting the 02 wrx rear calipers and knuckles/hubs in.
Swap the front 1-piston calipers for 00 2.5RS 2-piston calipers.

Pro Tip, don't ever buy cars from states that use salt during the winter.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts