Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to install a push button start, like on the s2000, in my 2000 rs. I was wondering if anyone had already done one and could shed some light on the subject. I was told that you'd be able to mount the push button in place of the 12volt plug but i don't know if that's true either. :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I saw one for sale, if I can remember where, I'll post the link.
It's a button that you push after you turn the key to the "on" position, it fits in one of your little dash cutout spots.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if I've seen the same switch. hmmmm.......I've seen a couple on nopi.com and shmotorsports.com, I think they are maybe $20. Anyone actually installed one of these though? I don't imagine it could be that complicated, considering the switch looks like it only has three wires, but pics can be deceiving.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Wiring is simple - find the wire that comes from the key and goes to the starter solenoid and either (1) cut it and route it to your button or (2) wire your button in with it (so the key still works) and you are done. You will (most likely) need to provde 12v to the starter solenoid through the button.

Have fun with all the wires under the dash - electrical is my least favorite type of project. :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the switch will just tap into the ignition wire between the keyed ignition itself and the solenoid in the engine bay and that's it........? That simple?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad. Its just a matter of splicing in this unit with the ignition wire, and probably a ground. If you have any guages, that ignition signal should work fine, I think.

Graham

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Basically, yes. You'll need to, of course, supply 12v to the switch, and then 12v to the wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
I did it on my Acura Legend when the ignition switch went bad, and the dealer wanted $65 for a replacement. It's not quite as simple as RS25.com says, but he's close. I had to run a relay inline, because I could not find a push button that could handle the voltage. Maybe there's some out there, but the first one I used melted after a few starts. The only other momentary button I could find that would handle that voltage was a huge, and really hard to push, button for a wench.

BTW, I plan on doing this in my Impreza, as soon as I get the urge. It was actually really cool to everyone who looked at the Acura when I sold it. I used one three way switch for off/accessories/on, and had the relay in line to the momentary push button. I think the switch, relay, and button were about $10 total, from radio shack. Get a standard three position switch you like (I used a plunger type), a 30 amp relay, and any momentary button. I used a really small .3 amp, if I remember correctly. Pull the plunger, hit the button, and it starts. Felt really cool, like I was firing up a jet. Then again, I'm easily amused.

The other thing, Honda sells the S2000 button for about $30, from what I was told. I think it lights up too, for added geek status. Possibly it can handle the current you're going to put through it, but I still think you'll need that relay. Keep this post going, and I'll get off my arse, and do mine. Could be a fun project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts