Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 2.5 obs, 98 Legacy GT Daily
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I started to replace my fuel pump with my walbro 255 for my upcoming engine swap.

My fuel lines were very stuck to the metal nipples on the top of the pump cover. I tried with as much finesse as I could manage to get them off without damage but I put a tear in the center one. From what I can see online these rubber hoses are very short and hook to a hard line that is just out of site of the access door in my hatch.:facepalm:

Am I going to have to drop my tank to replace this line? Does anyone have any tips for doing this? Seems to me I am royally screwed :bonk:

·
Registered
1996 JDM WRX
6 Posts
Did you have any luck with your fuel hose? I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Like you, I'm really hoping there is a solution that does not require dropping the tank. It's not looking good.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not sure if its fixed yet but I picked up a quick connector from advanced auto that I think will connect to the metal pipe on top of the fuel pump and then I can cut the ripped part off my house and connect the hose to the new connector. I think it will give me just enough to work with. Its a Dorman product number 800-080

·
Registered
1996 JDM WRX
6 Posts
Sweet, that's a great idea. Not sure how easily I find those over here in the UK, but I'll order them from the States ASAP. Would you mind doubling back and updating the thread and let me know how it works out, either way?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I found that the Dorman quick connector, although good in theory, did not work. It was the right length but would not stay clipped to the metal nipple on top of the fuel pump assembly.

What I ended up doing was buying a 5/16 in line fuel line connector and a some more hose. Then since I only needed about an inch which was too close to do any connecting I made a big loop with the new line so that it would not kink.

As you can see, the line with the new hose clamps is the one that is mated with the old line which I cut about an inch off of to get rid of the tear I had made removing it. Then it makes a loop and connects to the fuel pump assembly.

Hope this can help someone in the future. your only other option would be to drop the tank to replace the rubber line.

·
Registered
1996 JDM WRX
6 Posts
For the record, this solution worked for me as well. For anyone in the UK that has this issue, some Halfords stock the fuel hose, but I needed to visit an independent shop (AT Johnson in King's Lynn) to find the connector.

Thanks again for your help, mshriver!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.