Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 subura imprez RS sedan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys...maybe this has happened to you:
I'm pumping gas and after like 3bucks it will click. I can hear the gas go straight to the top in a few secs than "CLICK!!!!"
That happs every few secs. Its like it fills up super fast than i gotta sit and wait for the same thing to happen again and again and again...ANNOYING!!
Is there something going on that you guys know of??
The gas gauge works just fine.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
There's a valve that allows air to escape as fuel enters the tank. If that's blocked or seized or whatever, it will not allow any air to escape, so no more fuel can enter until you stop pumping and let air out.

·
Registered
2001 L Sedan
126 Posts
This is a problem of mine. There are a lot of things that could cause this. But a good way to isolate it is this.

Get under your car and take a look at the black box at the rear of your vehicle on the passenger side. This is the charcoal canister. You will see three hoses on the front side of it. There will be a tiny hose on the left side, which is a purge line. There's another hose on the right side which drains to the atmosphere. In the center there is a line that comes in from the gas tank. Take this hose off (disconnect it from the canister).

If you are still having issues pumping gas, then your problem is somewhere more internal (for lack of a better word). Such as a stuck or broken vent valve or possibly some sort of blockage in your filler neck. If your tank fills properly after you disconnect it (like mine did). You can isolate the problem to either the charcoal canister itself. Or some sort of blockage in the drain system. For more info on that check out this thread.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f13/t167151-problems-filling-gas-how-clean-hoses-one.html
Post #5

AND check this out

Car not filling with gas at pump. - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Thats my .02.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so it seems like a common issue. LAME.
But i really do appreciate all your guys' help. I'll try that out tydg94! Thanks!
And its not the angle in which i pump. Trust me i tried that. People probly think i'm a retard at the pump pulling it in and out twisting, listening, peeking inside as i pump. HAHA. im calling the dealer right now also

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Don't get too close while "peering inside", if gas happens to squirt out and hit your eyeballs it'll make you cry like a sissy bitch, then EVERYONE will be watching your dumbass run all over the gas station looking for water to rinse our your eyes.

ask me how I know -_-.....

·
Registered
2001 GC8
31 Posts
I have the same problem with mine idk what it is either the charcoal canister or vent valve. The way i "fixed it" is when i fill up on gass i bend down and unhook one of the lines going to the charcoal canister. It fills up just fine and then when im done i hook the hose back up if you want i can take a picture of this. It doesnt fix the root of the problem but until i get money to replace this is working perfect.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,650 Posts
I found that it's a pretty common 93-01 issue. I had three imprezas that did it. I always just dealt with it because I was too lazy to attempt to figure out the problem. Flipping the nozzle upside down almost always cures the problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the same problem with mine idk what it is either the charcoal canister or vent valve. The way i "fixed it" is when i fill up on gass i bend down and unhook one of the lines going to the charcoal canister. It fills up just fine and then when im done i hook the hose back up if you want i can take a picture of this. It doesnt fix the root of the problem but until i get money to replace this is working perfect.
Why dont you just leave that hose unhooked??? Another guy on here said he leaves it unhooked. I'll try it out. If my car explodes i'll tell ya

·
Registered
2001 L Sedan
126 Posts
Yea this is basically what i was talking about.

Just in regard to leaving that line unplugged, i suppose you could, but i was just unsure about the idea of leaving something that goes straight to your gas tank open and hanging around under the car at all times. It probably wouldn't do any harm, but better safe then sorry.

im calling the dealer right now also
Just be careful about that, in fact, id say fuck it. When i did that about six months ago when i first wanted to deal with this problem, I brought the car in and they gave me some ridiculous 500 dollar estimate for basically dropping the tank and replacing it. Research pays off. Often problems seem very complicated at first can be fixed with simple solutions.

·
Registered
2001 L Sedan
126 Posts
I found that it's a pretty common 93-01 issue. I had three imprezas that did it. I always just dealt with it because I was too lazy to attempt to figure out the problem. Flipping the nozzle upside down almost always cures the problem.
Although the language barrier with some of the gas station attendants in NJ does get painful sometimes doesn't it. :facepalm:

:hijack:

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
turn the nozzle upside down. you have to stand there and hold it, but it shouldn't shut off. it is a common problem .

·
Registered
'00 Swapped Impreza RS Coupe
351 Posts
Yeah, tydg94 got it down... My issue was the vent valve and it tried to shoot gas at me :lol: If I remember right if it's the vent valve that's causing the issue it's located on the top of the gas tank so you may have to remove the tank to get to it.... it's been a while so I really don't remember how to get at it if that's really the issue. Anyone correct me on that?

Definitely try the charcoal canister first like tydg94 suggested.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,650 Posts
Although the language barrier with some of the gas station attendants in NJ does get painful sometimes doesn't it. :facepalm:

Yeah I just kinda stand there and do it myself and point to the car if they look at me. Usually they have other customers here in densely populated new jersey. If I'm the only one I'll just let them figure it out because they're getting paid to do it.

turn the nozzle upside down. you have to stand there and hold it, but it shouldn't shut off. it is a common problem .
I dont know if they have this in your state, but in NJ there's a little clip that you can use to hold the trigger down. I've seen a few different designs

·
Registered
2001 GC8
31 Posts
Why dont you just leave that hose unhooked??? Another guy on here said he leaves it unhooked. I'll try it out. If my car explodes i'll tell ya
I live in California now im scared if a cop pulls me over and thinks he smells gas id be classified as an ecological terrorist or something.

I actually had a oerson approach me and tell me "when it clickss off like that it means its full, your probably overfilling it" i wasnt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.