Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STM 2.5RS
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I have been tearing apart a 99 2.5RS and I am trying to get the rotors off the axle and I am having trouble getting the nut off the end of the axle. They are drilled rotors and the nut has a notch in it almost like a lock. Can anyone tell me how to get these off? Sorry if this is a noob question, but I need the help

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
You don't need to take that 32mm nut off to take the rotor off.

Just take the caliper off, and pull. If it's the rears, make sure the e-brake is off.

If you still have trouble getting them off, see if they have a threaded hole near the hub area (OEM rotors do, some aftermarket don't) and thread a 8mm 1.25 pitch bolt in the hole to push the rotor off.

·
Registered
2000 STM 2.5RS
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i dont do anything with this nut? how do the wheels even stay on if you are sayin pull the wheels off then just pull the rotor? doesnt make any sense....

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
The rotor is held on when you bolt your wheels to the spindle. The wheel studs are not connected to your rotor, they are connected to your spindle/axle. The rotor will slide off leaving the wheels studs in place.

As for removal, WD40 and/or a propane torch.

WD40 around the center hub bit where all that rust is.. Try banging on the HUB PART ONLY with a nice heavy hammer. It might break it loose. It's obvious I know, but don't smack the rotor surface with a metal hammer.

If that fails, heat the rotor hub with a propane torch to expand it a little. Again, smack it with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
The nut is for the hub, no you don't need to touch that if you're just messing with wheels and brakes. I think you're thinking that it's all one piece; that's not the case.

The nut and the round "sleeve" it's within, are part of the hub. The rotor is the cross-drilled part, then the hat, which has the five holes for the lug bolts, and the one center hole to go around the hub/nut. You'll see when you pull off the rotor. If it's stuck, use the bolt suggestion from Carisma.

And rotors have been discussed a gazillion times, there's plenty of other threads for reference and photos. www.scoobymods.com is great too, it should be your bible.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
You don't need to take that 32mm nut off to take the rotor off.

Just take the caliper off, and pull. If it's the rears, make sure the e-brake is off.

If you still have trouble getting them off, see if they have a threaded hole near the hub area (OEM rotors do, some aftermarket don't) and thread a 8mm 1.25 pitch bolt in the hole to push the rotor off.

/\ Like he said but use bolts at the same time, the calipers can be stubborn. You must have salty roads, I live in Louisiana and mine has barely any surface rust.

·
Registered
2000 STM 2.5RS
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what I thought...but my dad tells me different. Hes used to old muscle cars, Im guessing are different. thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Well yeah, old cars were a lot different. They're old cars. :)

The bolt trick is a good one. Buy a spare bolt like Carisma mentioned, and keep it in your glovebox or trunk. Very handy.

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
The nut is for the hub, no you don't need to touch that if you're just messing with wheels and brakes. I think you're thinking that it's all one piece; that's not the case.

The nut and the round "sleeve" it's within, are part of the hub. The rotor is the cross-drilled part, then the hat, which has the five holes for the lug bolts, and the one center hole to go around the hub/nut. You'll see when you pull off the rotor. If it's stuck, use the bolt suggestion from Carisma.

And rotors have been discussed a gazillion times, there's plenty of other threads for reference and photos. www.scoobymods.com is great too, it should be your bible.
Well yeah, old cars were a lot different. They're old cars. :)

The bolt trick is a good one. Buy a spare bolt like Carisma mentioned, and keep it in your glovebox or trunk. Very handy.
Why do you keep mentioning Carisma?? He hasn't even posted in this thread. :p

·
Registered
2000 STM 2.5RS
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha anyways thanks for the help...they were just really rusted on there. Thats why I thought i was doing something wrong. But I got them all off :)

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
there is a hole on the back of rear hub assembley that has a gear wheel in it that you can use a flat screw driver to turn that gear and it releases the spring pressure on the rear inside ebrake drum. Hard to get a hold off but takes minutes rather than 45 min to pound of the rears.

pounding it off can cause damage to the inside of the mechanics

1 - 15 of 15 Posts