Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am standing at buskys house trying to yank my motor out. Everything is ready but it wont come out. The engine and transmission wont seperate for some reason. Is there something I am overlooking?

I pulled 6 bolts from the motor-tranny and 2 nuts.
motor mounts are unbolted

·
Registered
141 Posts
what year is the car? 98 and earlier ones had 4 bolts holdign the motor and tranny together, 99 and later had 8. so im assumming you have a 99 and later. there are 2 bolts up top on each side, 1 bolt on each side at the bottom then a stud with a nut on it at the very bottom of each side. if you have all those jsut get a puddy knife or something and start hammering away at it, they will eventually break apart.

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
they kinda corrode together....its a common problem.

I spray a rust fightere or anything like that on the seal between the two. Then....puddy knife and some prybars make short work of it. Think of the bright side....when you have to take it out again...won't be this hard. You can also use anti-sieze on the mating surface when you put it back together.

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
do you have a small jack under the tranny? If not try putting some upward pressure on the tranny. The wiggle, jiggle and curse at it and it will eventually seperate.
Mine was so stuck I had to grind down an old putty knife to a razor edge and beat it into the crack on the top with a mallet. I think it took T3hWit and I 3 hours to untill it finnaly cam apart.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow...thanks guys. im going back to work. ill report back.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
Go out and get a cheap putty knife and an assorted prybar set. After everything's unbolted, hammer the putty knife between the block and the transmission. When you get the putty knife in, go to a flat head screwdriver, and carefully and slowly pry back a bit. You have to be careful not to nick the mating surfaces though. After you have it spread apart far enough to get a prybar into each side, start prying back and forth, lifting the engine up a bit, dropping it down a bit, and tilting the engine forwards or backwards on the lift. Remember, you have two studs going through the transmission, and by moving the engine around, you're trying to take as much load off the studs as possible, whether they are pushing the transmission down or lifting it up. By tilting the engine forwards or backwards (use your best judgement), you're trying to pull the engine out straight instead of with the studs cockeyed.

Just a tip though, remove the radiator if you haven't done so, and put a few pieces of cardboard where the radiator used to be. That'll prevent damage if the engine decides to let loose and swing forward. ;)

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
wiggle wigggle wiggle....wiggle some more..it'll break loose eventually

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
"Wondeful."

I wouldn't quite put it that way. :curse:

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its out. putty knife, screwdriver, jacked up the tranny...thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I must say that after 115k, my engine and tranny are resisting the end of their honeymoon. I did suggest the remedies (remedy, really) above, but no one's taking me seriously.

So, I'm posting instead of being a backseat mechanic.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
I must say that after 115k, my engine and tranny are resisting the end of their honeymoon. I did suggest the remedies (remedy, really) above, but no one's taking me seriously.

im confused as to the purpose of this post....question? statement?
:mamoru:

but really....what are u trying to say/ask?

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
she is saying that someone is trying to seperate her cars motor and trans and it isnt working... And they arent listening to what this thread is telling them works

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts

You should just sit there with a smug look on your face and laugh at them as they try everything but this and curse as it doesn't work.

When they finally break down to taking your advice and it comes apart make sure you say "Told ya so" :D

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
You should just sit there with a smug look on your face and laugh at them as they try everything but this and curse as it doesn't work.

When they finally break down to taking your advice and it comes apart make sure you say "Told ya so" :D
I didn't. I was pretty unhappy to hear "let's use an air chisel," though. Honestly, I thought the PB Blaster would have helped, but as usual, Hilary (me) has stupid-ass suggestions. (sarcasm)

My thinking;

"Resurfacing the mated parts or... chunks out of my bellhousing... CHUNKS OUT OF MY BELLHOUSING, PLEASE!"

LOL. Thankfully, the stubbornness melted away from someone for a split second and they retried the screwdrivers.

Those two were seriously staying together for the kids.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
why u letting other peoples touch your engines?

i hate when other people touch my engines

bastards

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
why u letting other peoples touch your engines?

i hate when other people touch my engines

bastards
LOL.

True!

It's because I'm not equipped to do this, so I don't have a choice.

I don't like being a backseat mechanic, and sometimes, I think it's best if I'm not around when things are being done to my car (I think 90% of techs agree). If I were at a dealer or something, I wouldn't be able to be out on the floor anyway.

Of course, that's a double edged situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts