Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to be able to remove the old axle shafts from the hubs in the rear. I was gathering all the parts from a legacy for a rear disk sway when I ran into this problem. I had the hub completely off the assembly but couldn't get the axle to pull out. I even had the outer nut off and still nothing. I tried a axle puller from auto-zone but it couldn't push it out either. (using all the torque I could with the hub not on the car anymore which wasn't very much.

My qusetions are as follows
1)- do I even need to remove them or are the 98 legacy ones the same lenght as my impreza ones?
2)- why wasn't I able to get them off in the first place? Is there some sort of pin buried inside the e brake housing that I cannot see. Or is it just being a stubborn 10 yo SOB!

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Most likely just being stubborn.

Once you've got the axle nut off, spray a shit ton of PB Blaster or similar onto the exposed axle stub. Then try a BFH or an axle puller. This worked for me. When you reinstall, use some anti-seize or white lithium grease to avoid this happening again.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
^^^ Yup. Just being a bitch.

You should be able to leave them in to change the lateral links....but (I think) you'll have to remove them to do the disc swap because the backing plate has to be changed.

Heat and PB Blaster will likely loosen it up, otherwise a gigantic sledgehammer and a not so bright buddy to hold things.

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So are they they the same or not. I think I could get around pulling them all together if they are. I don't see the need to change any backing plate because I shouldn't be using any of the old parts.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
They what? I mentioned the lateral links cuz you typed "sway" instead of swap. I don't know if you mean disc swap, or disc and swaybar, or what. If you're not using any of the "old" parts, the axles have to come out because the "old" hubs will be changed.

If you haven't gotten this far yet.....know now that the long bottom bolt is a major bitch. There are posts about it to reference for suggestions.

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using completely new hubs. I'm doing a rear disk/ sway bar swap so I will be using new legacy hubs (which has the shafts still stuck in them.) I didn't run into any problems removing the long bolts on the legacy that I got my parts off of and I'm hopping I can get this done with out much of an issue.

So you think the legacy shafts are the same?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I've got legacy shafts and a legacy 3.9 diff. My rear hubs are also legacy. Went together like legos

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well there different and of course I didn't realize this til they were all installed and bolted in. Fuck there goes another day of work. I still can't get the old ones to pull out either which sucks because I'm kind of stranded. Over to legacy central I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts