• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I really enjoyed about the I-Club of the yester-year was that its members were not just Subaru enthusiasts, but also general auto enthusiast. They appreciated cars that were not Subarus, and enjoyed talking and praising them without feeling theatened. Now, you can't compliment a non-WRX without being flamed.

Proposal: A new forum (perhaps in Off-Topic) where we can discuss other cars that are non-Subs.

Any thoughts??

gar.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
i'm glad james is such a true to life guy. doesn't have the illusion of control, just lets things play out and steps in every now and then. We are all car enthusiast and always into a KICK Ass car that is for sure. God i can't wait to drive an M5.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've sat in a M5.......oh man is that nice! If you get the chance, go drive a 2001 M Roadster or M Coupe. Awesome redline, power everywhere. The power curve is so flat that you just put it in a gear at like 2k and then mash the gas and watch the speedo unwind. <sigh> If only I could afford one...

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
DrBiggly said:
I've sat in a M5.......oh man is that nice! If you get the chance, go drive a 2001 M Roadster or M Coupe. Awesome redline, power everywhere. The power curve is so flat that you just put it in a gear at like 2k and then mash the gas and watch the speedo unwind. <sigh> If only I could afford one...
been there done that, drove an M Roadster...was very cool just not to my liking, unreal powerband though, it really NEVER feels like the car needs any kind of motivation...i have been obsessed with the M5 since they debuted it, eventally i will have one(my buddy works next door at BMW). WE trade favors once in a while :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Jeremy,

Which M Roadster/Coupe did you drive? the '98-'00 are different beasts completely from the '01-'02s. The biggest difference is in gearing and engine:

'98-'00 have about 240hp and 230torque (these aren't specific numbers, just roughly) and have a higher final drive ratio (somewhere in the mid 3.x I think?) 10.1:1 compression (either that or 10.5:1, another I can't remember the specific number at the moment)

The '01-'02 has the same engine as the new M3 (excepting intake and exhaust differences). 11.0:1 compression, noticeably higher rev limit. About 315hp and 250torque. The powerband on it is almost completely flat....the downside to this is that the final drive was lowered to about 2.9. There has been some speculation that BMW did this to hurt the acceration times on the M Roadster as to not take away from the new M3. The new M3 *IS* faster; I've seen posts on the Z3 board of guys with the new one going up against a new M3 (his buddy) at the 1/4mi track. The M3 has a 6 speed gearbox, which won't fit in the M Roadster/Coupe. The new body style comes out in 2003 for those though.....Coupe for now will be discontinued if what I have heard is correct.

The M3 also has a different intake and exhaust which gives it 333hp versus 315 for the M Roadster/Coupe. Other than that, they are the same engine....

Not that the older M Roadsters were slow; they weren't. But the new ones are noticeably faster... :D

Just curious as to which one you drove. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
ANYWAYS...

Definitely, RS25.com, you should make a non-subie forum for all of the 'car guys (or girls)' that just want to talk cars, not just Subaru in specific. Just one thread won't do us justice...

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
dude, if it aint a subee, it aint shit. I say we ban anyone who even mentions another car unless they're talking about how bad they smooookkkeedd it, w00t w00t I R teh 1337 bah bah bah bah

sorry.. it's late. i'm crazy without sleep.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Holy old threads, Batman! :lol:

I think I'll just leave OT as the catch-all for now... I've already got enough under used areas as is... :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.