Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MY98 2.5rs with an auto transmission (would have gotten the 5spd, but found this one REAL cheap), and was wondering what the best way to launch is for the best results.

The car has no mods, and RE92's for tires (dealership put them on free of charge since the old ones were worn, couldn't complain). I know that my car probably runs 9's in the 0-60 and i'll probably get my ass handed to me if i ever decide to race anything, but I still want to know the best way to launch my car just so I have the knowledge :biggest:

I read this from i-club when someone responded to the best way to launch a 4eat WRX:

The way to really "launch" try this...first pump the brakes to build up pressure and then hold them. Next put the car in Drive 2. Step on the gas to build "RPM" to "your" stall speed. At the same time release the brake and drop the "selector to Drive 1" and then hold on
I dunno if that will work for the RS too, and if its even good for the tranny...

If someone could inform me on the best/fastest way to get my car off the line ill greatly appreciate it :)

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
You don't need to pump the brakes, just push them down. Then floor it and build the RPM until it won't rev any more, then take your foot off the brake.

However, do note, revving the engine in gear will heat up the tranny fluid VERY quickly (like 2-4 seconds) and HEAT is what kills automatic transmissions. So, wait until the last few moments to launch. If you hold it like that for 10+ seconds you are asking for trouble. Depending on how often you launch, have the dealer flush and refill your tranny. They have a special tool which completely drains and refills it, where if you do it you can only drain the pan.

:D

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
There's nothing wrong with it, and as James said, the only real issue is the heat buildup.

If you plan on flogging the 4EAT in anyway, I'd highly suggest putting in a transmission cooler to aid in the heat disapation.

I can get mine up to about 2500 in (2) and somewhere around 1200 in (1) before the engine overcomes the brakes' clamping power.

1) Step on brakes
2) step on gas
3) ???
4) Take foot off brakes and profit!

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
i shift it when i race. so im gona have it in one with the brakes all the way down. first yellow light the gas goes in....second light the brakes come off. ill let you know how it goes. I drive a 2.2L that ran a 17.3 with no lauch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts