1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3MLWHLY's @Cstar_built #projectnastywagon

I'm Charley. I build sh*t. :) You can follow me @Cstar_built

My name 3mlwhly stands for 3 mile wheelie. It was my wheelie record as a kid.

The car: 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

When I bought this car several years ago it was supposed to be a cheap RWD daily driver. Well the motor has rod knock so I'm throwing an LS1 and T56 in it now :naughty:. Now im going a little on the crazy side and going all out!!!

tags: #projectnastywagon ls1 lsx v8 subaru impreza wrx swapped swap r200 nissan STI ls1 ls v8 ls2 ls3 ls6 ls7 lq lq4 lq9 lm lm7 t56 tremec t-56 magnum t-5 drift wagon project nasty wagon wrx sti steering angle slide custom fabrication tig mig plasma spindles coilovers cusco 2-way diff subaru swap impreza conversion build how to is it possible

Attachments

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
getting started

first comes first. Ill be running na for a while so this motor is going to stay for now. This is my new dd so first im fixing the problems;
-head gasket
-oil leak

Then I'm already collecting parts for rwd r200 and here is my list of to buys and to do's;
-s13 r200 diff (got it)
-2 s chassi passenger side axles (got it)
-s14 drive shaft (got it)
-z32 hubs (got it)
-350z wheels
-04 sti hubs (got it)
-4/2 pot calipers and rotors (got rears)
-center diff to weld (got it)
-act hd clutch
-upgraded transfer gears
-sti gear set
-front of sti 5x114.3 spindles
- machine z32 hubs to fit sti spindles
-re-tube s14 driveshaft to be longer and 1 piece

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
saved 2

saved for later 2

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
if you have any rwd questions, your always welcome I pm me. There is a facebook group dedicated to rwd subarus, has a LOT of info!

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well first batch of good news, yesterday I was going to change to head gasket on the car. I pulled off every thing, radiator, timing cover, everything. Then pulled power steering pump and to my surprise, the radiator hose was pushed on to far and that's where the leak was coming from. So lucky me.
I fixed spark plug tube oil leak, and put in new plugs. The old ones look like originals, gap was .75 on 2 off the plugs... Geez no maintenance

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
small updates

Well, i started take my 04 sti spindles apart, and the hubs from sti and z32 are about 1mm or bigger in diameter, which mean less cost for machining. The depth appears the same, again less machining and i wont need spacer for nut. My next concern is the hub face looks pretty big, im not sure if it will fit in 2 pot rotors. We will see????

As for axles am going to run oem. Hence why im adapting hubs to fit its sti spindle. Ive heard that 2 passenger axle will fit sti's. but its looks like for my 99 outback i will use one from each side (each side is different on s chassi).

anyway still collecting parts and getting ready to fab up my subframe, and ill update with pics when i do.

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
300zx calipers car significantly cheaper than 4/2 and have very similar qualities

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
I need a better job and more time so I can do the same. Been wanting to do a R200 swap but to be honest on the power I would be making the R180 will be more than enough for me.

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
300zx calipers car significantly cheaper than 4/2 and have very similar qualities
Will these mate up with oem spindles, I've never heard of those on a subi before? Tell me more.

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need a better job and more time so I can do the same. Been wanting to do a R200 swap but to be honest on the power I would be making the R180 will be more than enough for me.
Well that's just it the r200 is going to be cheaper, and in the long run will last longer and cheaper to get new parts if it does brake. If it works out haw I plan it will be done pretty easily and cheap if u can get a good deal on sti rear spindles

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
Will these mate up with oem spindles, I've never heard of those on a subi before? Tell me more.
the fronts you will need adapters, i believe KNS makes them.
the rears bolt right up to 06/07 hubs

Subifan98 has them on his car, he is my dear friend of mine and lives locally.

paid pretty much
$150 for adapter
80ea caliper, gave them the stock subaru calipers as cores :) haha

you need to run lgt front rotors and use 06/07 wrx hubs/backing plate or if you use sti hubs you would need gravel rotors by DBA, which KNS also sells.

Obviously all of this new is costly, but they are even easier to find at local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok wow I didn't know that.

Ok so I'm running 04 sti spindle now and I have gravel rotors already I will have to redrill them.

So what r the z32 calipers, are the 2pot or 4s

·
2 broken subarus...
'00 Subaru Impreza OBS
321 Posts
3MLWHLY's gf8 r200 rwd turbo project

4 pot if I'm not mistaken...

Subbed btw

Edit: if they were 2 pot save the hassle and get wrx 2 pots

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow I just looked them up they r just like wrx 4/2 pots, how did I not know about these.

Fyi you have to use sti spindle if you going to have oem parking brake. As the hub is to big for non 6speed parking brake drums

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im stocked!!!!

just bought a used act hd clutch, rwd manual swap coming soon

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just added some stuff to the first post.

the car is officially named BAKU

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sure hope so... haha

Tuan, by the way.. i love the look of your car, i really want wrx sport bumper for my rs. im jealous.. haha

Ive been trying to get my welding skills back before i start sub frame. Heres a pic of one, it has some contamination but what do you guys think.?

·
Registered
01 2.5rs ej257 block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
revised first page. intention list is more detailed now

1 - 20 of 77 Posts