·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Holy Shift

ToC
Batman!

My Subaru's shifter has gotten pretty sloppy over the years. In gear it would sway a good 2 inches from left to right. Since I'm back I finally upgraded/replaced the linkage. Shifts so much better now!

Updated Linkage for reference. I was too mad at the old one I just threw it out without taking a picture.

A couple weeks later I found a pretty sweet deal on an '04 WRX center console. I really liked the idea of having a cup holder that isn't right in front of my vent and the STi shifter trim caught my eye.

Shifter surround before

After some tedious trimming to get the STi surround in

Fits like a glove

Now onto the actual assembly

The angle difference between the GC and GD assembly

Instead of matching the angle that I needed to cut on the lower center console from the GC, I matched it with the upper center console piece instead

A lot of cutting and grinding later.

It almost looks OE!

Forgot to take pictures of me cutting the shifter surround to fit around the upper assembly, but here's the result. I also got one of those edge guards for the doors and slipped them over so that it looks a littler smoother.

Note: To be able to use the stock holes to mount the assembly on, you need to open up these front holes a bit for the screw to get the right angle.

Also, the GC assembly uses the front two holes in this picture. The GD lines up to the ones in the back where the screws are. To make install easier, I ran the screws through to tap the holes before putting in the assembly.

It's a pretty nice upgrade so far.

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Nice & Snug

ToC
Seats! & "JDM" fogs!

It's been a hot minute. A few months ago I cam across a fresh new pair of 2017 BRZ seats. Why'd he get rid of them? Per the guy I got them from, the original owner couldn't fit in them. :lol:

I did a quick little forum searching and a few people said that you can just cut off the feet off the old their old seats and bolt them onto the sliders from the BRZ seats. So, I decided to bite on them.

Guy had them wrapped and everything!

BRZ sliders unbolted completely. You're going to need to drill out the rivets of the feet on the sliders to use these.

I cut the feet off my old RS seats and come to find that none of the holes line up to where you'd need them. If I cut the holes any bigger I wouldn't have felt safe to bolt it in with the minimal material left behind. Having access to no welder, I went ahead and bought some seat brackets.

Most of the holes on the slider lined up pretty well, but there were a couple you'd need to drill out because the the front holes wouldn't align if the rears were aligned etc.

Skipped to installation.

These feel so nice! They keep you in the seat nice and snug when cornering. They also look fairly OE because of the stitching and the little CF sort of pattern it has.

I also did a thing.

8 bucks! And I have JDM fogs! It's just vinyl so it's not the best up close as you can see where I had to press and fold the vinyl to stick onto the curved areas, but it sure beats spending ~300 bucks for the real thing!

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Coilovers? Track Day? Oh My!

ToC
Knock Knock

Coils

Finally was able to upgrade my coilovers. They lasted for a while, but they seized and were too low for my liking. They also weren't that comfortable since they were bouncy. It's pretty much what you'd expect after about 40k miles on them though right?

Anyway, old vs new.

I was able to ride around in them for a couple weeks and managed to take a picture of the car in the same spot.

Before

After

Track Day

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend an actual track day with a local Subaru group. Thank you for setting it up if you're reading this!

In tech

Photo credit to Mike Foss

Waiting for the session to start.

First session got a little messed up due to grouping, so I was only out there for maybe 5 minutes.

Second session, someone's car blew an oil line so that was cut short.

Third session, was going pretty well. I was gaining confidence, too much maybe and I spun out on a turn. I started her up again to finish the lap to pit just to check if everything was ok. Pulling into the pit lane, the engine didn't sound too happy. It was knocking. :eek:

In action!

A friend let me use his AAA to flat bed it home. I wasn't too keen on driving it home the way it was.

Given recent events turbo time is looking like it'll be sooner than later.

·
Registered
2000 RS-T coupe
73 Posts
Great job accommodating the GD center console! I was looking at one in the junkyard last month pondering the process and you've answered my curiosity.

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
ToC
Wired

Not too big of an update, but I might edit this post later into a DIY of a dash removal of some of the things I found difficult along the way; we'll see. I finally did get some time to take apart the interior bits though.

Dash out

Beam out

Harness out

Some goodies

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
This is a very well put together thread!

What products did you use for the steering wheel restoration?

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Big Ups

ToC
Some gains.

I've been quite busy with the swap over the last few months so I haven't been able to update this. Delayed update, but it's a big one

There's been a hell of a lot of headaches with broken parts and missing pieces. :bonk:

To start, 3/6 of the trailing arm bolts broke as well as 1/4 of the rear sub frame bolts.

Requiring some extra work to fix. They're holding so far and I'm not going full race car, so I think my backyard fix would suffice for now.

The 6 speed went in fairly smoothly until the little missing pieces started up. Notice what's missing? I was never given the clutch fork pin when I got the trans.

Shortly after, the big package arrives...

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Moar... POWA!

ToC
OE Forged Internal Goodness...

This shipment came in... and boy was I excited! Tore into...

Closer inspection there was quite a bit of oil sludge, cleaned her up and took a better look.

Already leaking oil from the pump. :mad: I was going to put new timing components on it and everything, but it's just extra stuff I had to take care of. There was also a broken clip for one of the ignition coils, ended up buying new OE ignition coils to be safe and new misc clips.

Upgraded some other stuff since it's already apart. The line, "While you're in there..." kept coming up throughout the project.

New timing components coming along.

Just about ready to drop in.

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Dropping in...

ToC
...with some head game

Started making checklists to make sure I wouldn't forget anything. Then made more checklists for the stuff that I forgot or needed extra parts.

Soon...

Finally in the bay!

With a little bit of gold and a pager!

Also got a bit of shiny parts.

That I made not so shiny anymore. The wrap would've made it too thick for my purposes.

Because she's a tight fit even with a modified drain plug. There's maybe 2-3 mm of clearance between the headers and the drain plug.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts