Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,472 Posts
Dude, that wheel came out fvcking amazing!!!
The 9 0'clock and 3 o'clock were the parts that were giving me a headache. I lathered that thing up with 4-5 coats of mink oil, but I never got that result.
Very, VERY nice!!! :clap:

that's Abel's old wheel!! :banana:
:mamoru:
But did you see the outcome? :eek:mg:

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Dude, that wheel came out fvcking amazing!!!
The 9 0'clock and 3 o'clock were the parts that were giving me a headache. I lathered that thing up with 4-5 coats of mink oil, but I never got that result.
Very, VERY nice!!! :clap:

:mamoru:
But did you see the outcome? :eek:mg:
Well, there's your problem. I'm no pro but IIIRC mink oil is a great leather conditioner, but it's too good of one. It'll over condition the leather making it softer than you want it to be which probably caused the 3 O'Clock position of the wheel to pretty much disintegrate. Think of how toilet paper dissolves when it's drenched in water, that. And you used 4-5 coats of it... :lol: It also has the ability to discolor the leather since it's over saturated, so it's usually darker. Again, not an expert, just what I've read if I remembered it right.

My ghetto-rigged process.
Items I used.
  • Salt and water mix. I eyeballed it, just make sure the salt is dissolved. I'm sure you can also use alcohol instead to dry it out and clean it but I didn't have any.
  • Water. To put out the fire you'll start.
  • Tooth brush. You really don't need to bust out a new one for this unless you want to say you did.
  • A stain cleaner. Shout is what was available at home.
  • Paper towels. Preferably clean.
  • Very fine sand paper. Sexy even.
  • This is important. Something similar should work but that's what I used.
  • Leather conditioner. I don't believe it's necessary if you get what I had linked as it does the same thing but it came out looking better with it.
Actual process. Disclaimer
  • Wipe down the wheel with the salt water mix to dry it out and clean off any possible gunk, I think I did it twice. What you want is a nice little water film on the leather and then let it evaporate drying the wheel/leather in the process. This will allow the leather to soak up the new conditioner you'll be putting on.
  • Then you can used the fine sand paper to scuff down the smooth parts of the wheel that have some large scuffs, scratches, etc. I didn't really get it all the way flushed on this wheel as some of the marks looked too deep and that would mean no more leather lol So I stopped scuffing it down. I also wouldn't recommend doing it on the porous section as it may take off chunks due the the uneven surface, your call.
  • Clean the threads. I sprayed a drop of the cleaner on the tooth brush and scrubbed at the threads. Then you rinse your tooth brush and rinse away the excess. Pat dry. Keep going around the wheel so the threads dry a bit then you can do a second pass if they're still dirty.
  • Bust out the leather black dye dealie then rub it in while being careful not to dye the pristine threads you just cleaned, unless they're black then get in there. Rub it in, wait for it to dry, another pass, dry, etc. until it's to your liking. I advise to go over the rough spots a few times.
  • Wait a bit for it to dry, an hour? Then you just wipe off the excess dye that didn't stick so it won't get all over your hands when you drive. Your threads may be dirty again at this point so clean it again before the dye settles in there.
  • Leather conditioner with the same process as the dye. Again, I don't believe it's necessary but I just had some laying around the house and it came out a litter better. It's also apparently expired so... maybe it fermented and is now super leather conditioner.
  • Enjoy fresh looking steering wheel! Unless you *ucked up.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
50 Posts
ToC :

Finally on with coilovers and strut bars!

Looks familiar :D

I can't tell but was it BRP before and RBP/WRB after? I couldn't tell if it was a filter or if the color actually changed. Either way, looks good! I'm jealous of your 4 pots, I'll probably be doing the same thing soon.

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Great start, man. I'm glad to see you are doing everything the right way instead of the easy way.
Thanks! I'm trying to not cut corners as much. Though I still do now and then, as you may notice with the wheel resto.

Sweet thread, looking good!
Thanks! Give it a week or so when I get it back!

that's Abel's old wheel!! :banana:
...and it's looking better than ever! :banana:

Great work so far... your wheel recovery write up should really be stickied.

Looking forward to more.

Evaded
Thanks! However, I'm not sure a ghetto-rigged wheel recovery should be really stickied.

Looks familiar :D

I can't tell but was it BRP before and RBP/WRB after? I couldn't tell if it was a filter or if the color actually changed. Either way, looks good! I'm jealous of your 4 pots, I'll probably be doing the same thing soon.
Twins! Well, it was. It's a blue color of sorts and #nofilter, as the cool kids say it. Getting into an accident that could have been prevented with better brakes really changes your mind on when to get the upgrade. Sooner than later would've been better.

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
The End Of An Era...

ToC
Gonna miss DAT ASS!

8-15-14 The last day I drove her.:puppy_dog I left for school and was not allowed to bring the car along with me. I'm now driving this thing with no balls. Sort of worked out though as my car would be destroyed by the new place as there's extremely large speed bumps in the parking lot. Also saw an STM coupe at my school on the first day of orientation, the feels!

Last few shots of it before I left.

A sweet rolling shot that my sister took with her S4. A little grainy but not too bad for a camera phone.

Next to my buddy's gassy Miata and the same Z from previous pictures.

Last shot I took of it. Cleaned and waxed it the night before at like 1-2am and spent a solid half hour just sitting in it before leaving. Gonna miss DAT ASS!

No updates for the next ~2 years.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
Good work! The wheel resto was super interesting to me.

The question begs to be asked though, how is it that you're driving a nearly new hybrid Camry yet you're unable to drive your car?

·
Registered
A sexy bitch!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The Honking

ToC
Honka Honka

Back for a good bit and fixing up a few issues that arose while it was neglected. Checked fluids, tire pressures, etc. The main issue that has bothered me was one of the Hella horns rusted and stopped working. When I would drive it when I was back on breaks I was pretty much without a horn. Good thing I don't use it often!

Here she is last I drove her. I attempted to fix the old horn but found that it was too rusted and the connector to the horn broke off completely and didn't have time to fix it. Left it as is.

Finally had time to fix them up and picked up the Hella Sharptone Panther horns since they went on 'sale' on Amazon. Here's a bit of a before shot of how the non-working horns sat.

Without the grill.

Decided to make up a new bracket for the Sharptones. This took much longer than expected as I don't have any fancy tools to do so. I also had to change plans after all the work once I realized how hard it was to take off the bracket that the Sharptones are already attached to.

Bracket spainted BLAACK and attached to the horns. The horn on the left shows a bit of a scuff that happened after I tried to remove the said bracket. :curse:

Close up and looking better.

Further back. No longer uni-horning it!

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
What paint did you use on your calipers? I'm thinking I should paint mine before winter and really like the gold.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts