Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can someone please tell me what the hell this is?

Also what oil and spark plugs are you using for your JDM swaps?

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm realizing my limits in experience and knowledge in cars, so I'm going to have someone rebuild my engine for me. I will crack open the heads and stuff, because that's pretty simple stuff.

i just ordered some EJ257 rods and Cometic headgaskets (on backorder :()

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I also bought a new GReddy boost gauge and oil pressure gauge for $180 shipped.

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Shout out to R&H Garage for doing a swap that's running great right now. Great people; really honest and know what they're doing. I figured they'd do it because I have school, and I had the money. I would've loved to have done it myself, but I have priorities.

Only problems right now are one of the headlights not working, the horns, and the gauge cluster not lighting up. Hopefully simple wiring stuff.
I'll work on those after finals week.

Essentially, the V4 STi motor dynoed about 224whp on a Mustang dyno on 18.2 psi (a lot for the VF24). I'll post dyno sheets later.

Engine was refreshed with new fluids, oils, and cleaned out with some alcohol solution.
V4 STi-RA tranny with 4.44 gear ratios. Very short. However, I averaged about 25mpg on highway? But the gas gauge is a little off now too...

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

So I was cruising home and there was a lot of soot in my tailpipe! I was shooting out black smoke and running like crap. Turns out the by pass valve popped off from under boost, and I couldn't figure it out. I was thinking in and out and I now kick myself, because it's something really simple.

In other words, don't be a Hamlet like me and overthink things. Think logically and start small first.

I never got such bad MPGs before. About 8mpg cruising.

·
Registered
Green 1995 Impreza
70 Posts
Hey do you have any more complete pictures of the engine bay (preferrably the routing of the coolant lines coming from the expansion tank on the left side of the engine bay? Also what pressure ratings are the caps on both your radiator and the expansion tank? Im having issues with my set-up just curious as to how yours is. Thanks

--Justin

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm going to work on my car tomorrow to fix some bugs and I'll try to get some pictures in.

I'm having some issues when I turn corners. When I drive slow and go around a corner, I hear some clunking. Anyone know what that might be? The axles perhaps? :(

·
Interior Paint Pro
V4 STi-RA
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Exhaust sounds decent. Just my old Apexi can that's pretty restrictive actually.

I'm considering a cheap Megan Racing N1 turboback or Espelir JGT500.

I was thinking the Invidia N1 street or full 3" Greddy Ti-C competition, but figuring I have low gear ratios on the highway, it would get unbearable!
Even though I'm young and don't mind loud, I'm thinking out of consideration for my passengers.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Acadia Green
587 Posts
Jakey what up! Your old pics don't work so I can't see your progress :(

I didn't know you were originally an auto. Did r&h do the at->mt swap? I'm gonna be doing that soon too.

·
Registered
Green 1995 Impreza
70 Posts
I'm going to work on my car tomorrow to fix some bugs and I'll try to get some pictures in.

I'm having some issues when I turn corners. When I drive slow and go around a corner, I hear some clunking. Anyone know what that might be? The axles perhaps? :(
Yes clunking while turning is an axle issue. Try to pinpoint which side it is coming from, having a buddy stand outside the car while you slowly turn may be easiest. Changing an axle isnt really a tough task, can be done in a few hours, usually with simple handtools and a good breaker bar.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts