Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 1432 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
1) Clutch: Going to try and get it vacuum bled like GF8er suggested in one of my other posts. If not, guess ill try replacing the slave then the master.
2) Headgasket: Ordered my new cometic HG last friday. Should have it tomorrow. Then should have it all fixed and ready to go for friday. Have 160 miles on the motor so far. Want to be able to at least be able to break in the clutch.
Mine was a TINY pin hole in the non hard line from the firewall to the Slave cylinder. Replaced it with a new line and all was well. :D

I tried a SS line and vacuum bleeding/manual bleeding. Then the rubber went on, and it was magic.

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Well here is the official story...

Turns out that I have a leaking infput shaft in my 05 lgt tranny. It is leaking tranny fluid all over the clutch and flywheel. Hence why I am slowly dripping tranny fluid on the ground, clutch slips after 10psi, and the pedal feel is still crap.

Going to have to take it all appart again and replace the seal. Cant wait woot woot. Going to be fun... yeh right.. :<

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
:( Sorry dude. That's not fun.
Tell me about it...
Doing it on jack stands and droping it onto your chest is never fun!
Last time it dropped so fast onto me that it winded me...gotta take it easy and get a friend to help me this time.

Plus, looks like I might have to get another clutch disc if the one that is in there is too soaked.

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
done...

Got everything out and replaced all the seals. What a bitch!
The clutch disc was destroyed from all the slipping due to the input shaft leak. So went all out and got myself an ACT clutch kit and flywheel for the 05 lgt tranny. Can hold about 420tq. Should be good for now. When I upgrade to a 35R, it'll slip, I know...

So breaking in the clutch for the next few days and then im off for a tune.
Going to see If I can get 22-24lbs on pump gas out of this 30R.

It's gonna be a screamer. Will post vids when its done.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Were you sure to only push the seal in *just* enough? People sometimes put it in *too* far and have a leak as well.

I'm glad you got it together and ready to rip! That's going to be awesome! Videos of the dyno run would be cool...get 'em. ;)

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,931 Posts
So breaking in the clutch for the next few days and then im off for a tune.
Going to see If I can get 22-24lbs on pump gas out of this 30R.

It's gonna be a screamer. Will post vids when its done.
I bet with some Meth injection you'll be able to eek out some more...I agree though a 30R in that GC is gna be monstrous!!!

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
I bet with some Meth injection you'll be able to eek out some more...I agree though a 30R in that GC is gna be monstrous!!!
Was originally looking at the Aquamist HSF-5.
But after speaking with a few people, I have changed my mind.

Nope...not going anywhere near a meth kit.

Reason:
- So you have your kit installed and running correctly. The HSF-5 has tons of fail safe features that would "save" you in the case that the system fails.
- What happens if it fails while you are at WOT and at full boost?
- For the instant that the system is changing over to safe mode, you have ultra detonation!
- My friend with an evo had the HSF-5 fail at 38psi and blew his motor in that brief second it needed to turn the failsafe system on.

No thanks...
Ill do it the old fasion way. All pump gas or race gas.
Just my 2 cents...

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,931 Posts
I feel the same way...It's 1 less thing to worry about failing...Plus you guys back East have 93 which I'm sure would help with ur tune and reaching ur 24psi goal. Coming from CA with our 91 it seems everyone is running meth kits hence the suggestion...I choose to go the other way and put 5 gal of 100 octane in with our 91 catpiss:)

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
I've always wondered this...
maybe someone could answer this.
How quicky does race gas (C16 or Q16) go bad?
Ive never messed with the stuff before but it seems like I will be getting into it before I go 35r.

My friend with a STI Dom4 turbo kit got a whole bunch of C16 and then his car skipped timing at the 1320 and bent all the valves. I was thinking of buying some from him but he said that it has prob gone bad. He bought it 2 weeks earlier...

can anyone shed some light?

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
From what I read it can be anywhere from 2-3 months depending on humidity on an open container...
Cool...thanks

Was thinking of doing a pump gas tune then a C16 map too..
Donno yet though. C16 map might be too much for the tranny.

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
Btw...anyone know if they make upgraded axles for our cars?
Not looking at driveshaftshop axles yet ($2k). I know the stockers are good to 450hp before they start snaping, but this car is a drag race vehicle and I will more than likely break the stock axles.

Don't worry, have a ppg straightcut box reserve that I'm picking up in decemeber. Just need something temporary that can handle abuse.

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
So had some spare time today and decided to replace my leaking head gasket. Really didn’t want to pull the motor out so decided to tilt the motor so I can get the head off the arps.

Looks like it worked out for me..

Everything looks pretty good. Just had a small HG leak anyways. This will be my first blown head gasket that I’ve replaced with the motor in the car. I was just wondering what you guys use to clean the mating surfaces on the head and block. When I put the gasket on, I just used rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces up. They were both fresh from the machine shop so I decided not to go overboard. This time I need to clean every single particle off the surfaces. What’s the best way to clean them up??

Few pics...

121 - 140 of 1432 Posts